805 SE amplifier - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th April 2006, 07:10 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to tool0.0book
Default 805 SE amplifier

this is my friend Tubalu's 805 SE amplifier .25kg each
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 9th April 2006, 08:01 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I hope Tubalu has no children (human or pets) in the same home. Those are what I classify as "electric chair amplifiers". 805's really need to be inside a protective housing.

It looks like they are running with about 20 mA too much plate current.

805's sound very good in SET. I have an 805 SET amp myself and absolutely love it. It sits on the floor between my speakers. The 805's are safely enclosed and I have children (cats).
On April 01,2012, my radioastronomy Project TARGET SETI search succeeded. The signal came via extradimensional subspace, not radio waves. I now get a lot of 'visitors'. I took my avatar pic of one friend watching me in my work yard from just 20 ft. away.
Old 9th April 2006, 08:29 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to tool0.0book
To be continued , more pictures will be posted
Old 9th April 2006, 06:08 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Is it me or do the plates look a bit red?
Old 9th April 2006, 09:02 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by astouffer
Is it me or do the plates look a bit red?

Your valid concern has already been presented Stouffer. See post #2.

I observed the same plate color as visible in the picture presented above which I though excessive when Chinese 805's are placed in my amp with the same bias setting that the good old North American stock 805's like RCA and Westinghouse operate without color while proviiding full power. It may just be that these Chinese repro tubes need to rev faster to develop rated horsepower.
On April 01,2012, my radioastronomy Project TARGET SETI search succeeded. The signal came via extradimensional subspace, not radio waves. I now get a lot of 'visitors'. I took my avatar pic of one friend watching me in my work yard from just 20 ft. away.
Old 10th April 2006, 04:47 AM   #6
tubalu is offline tubalu  China
diyAudio Member

This amplifier is being debugged, I am experimenting two kind of different parameters
I think it is photographic prolonged exposure results ,Indeed, the plate is not red .
Finally, my 805 tube work in 850V plate voltage and plate current is 100mA, Shuguanag products are used, the quality has been very good , In addition, improved version of the 805A I am also prepared to try!
Old 10th April 2006, 04:47 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thank you for your concern,My son although only then three years old half, but he is very clever, he know away from high voltage.
Moreover,I hoped you also try the Shuguang's805A
Old 10th April 2006, 06:41 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

tubalu,

You certainly are not overheating 805's with only 85 watts PD. Yes, it must be a photohgraphic effect we see.

I have had good luck with my limited experience with Shuguang tubes. The 805's I tried that got a bit red were Shuguang and they sounded good. I have no need to purchase any other 805's as I am fortunate to have 6 pairs of old stock American type 805's (i.e. RCA, Westinghouse, GE) as ready spares.

It is up to you to provide a safe environment in your home. All I can do is urge you to reconsider the safety hazard that an open transmiting tube can pose in a home environment. That large, very hot tube could explode if water dripped on it, or burn someone, or electrocute anyone touching tube cap. Accidents happen and in this case can be prevented. Death is permanent.
Old 10th April 2006, 09:04 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Yes! Your consideration is correct! I will note this! Thank you!
Old 10th April 2006, 03:01 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

In addition, I would like to tell you £º
The 805 that china produced is good than the other imports£šIncluding RCA, Westinghouse, GE£©, is unique in the world. It is the security of the guaranteed .
Shuguang tube's manual said: the 805 tube is made of graphite and it's plate do not allow to send the red light.
This is a common sense!

rgds
tubalu

Hide this!Advertise here!