• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Low voltage-drop CCS for LTP input stage?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am considering conversion of the input stage of a small EL84 amp to use differential LTP with CCS.

The challenge: I do not have any negative voltage available, and space is very limited so it is difficult to add another tranny. I would like to avoid adding input caps if I can.

Here is the idea: Generate negative voltage from the 6.3V filament AC. This could probably get me -7 to -8 volt and would give around 9V of room for the CCS. Would this be enough?. Are there any CCS solutions that would be comfortable with such a small "headroom" ?

The input tube is presently 5670, but this could be changed if there are other suitable driver tubes that would get more voltage up to the cathode.

My approach will require grounding one side of the 6.3V AC instead of the center, but for a line level/output stage I would assume that this would be acceptable (I have seen some highly recognized commercial amps doing the same thing.)

The attached diagram illustrates my idea.

Svein

Attachments

• ccs-pow.jpg
    ccs-pow.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 487
You can also try doubling on the filanment vontage to get around 12V. I tried LTP cascoded but altough good on distortion measurements and swing, the sound seems kind of transistorized. There is no warmth and not that analytical. On the other hand you can also try normal LTP with a mosfet CCS with 5670, that will drive the el84s o.k, and in my ears is better than the cascoded option. In orer to adjust the operating point of cascoded you need a spectrum analyzer in my opinion (i use spectrum lad with excellent results).

Aha!. So the mystery is solved. Thanks SY! :)

Although the Coldwar referred to is running at 300V/8mA, I guess it must still be a "tight fit" for the Widlar CCS under the cathodes.

I will try with the -8V and a "ring-of-two" CCS. Then the next challenge will be how clean power it can provide, and if the slightly unbalanced filaments will cause any hum.

Svein.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.