Transformer and Choke Grounding? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2006, 12:04 AM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Default Transformer and Choke Grounding?

I just received my power transformers. While taking them apart to paint the housings I found a wire that goes from the windings to the screw hole (which held the unpainted housings and mounting feet). I'm guessing this is a ground that needs to be addressed as both the chassis and PTX housing will be painted (no conductivity). Is it appropriate to extend this wire (with the rest of the leads) and include it the ground-bus architecture or attach it with the IEC port chassis ground?

I'm guessing the OTX (James) should be grounded similarly?

Also received 4 open bracket filter chokes, which will be mounted under the chassis. Should I solder a lead to the mounting feet and ground these as well?

Thanks for any help.

-Charlie
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2006, 03:31 AM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
Miles Prower's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: USA
Blog Entries: 6
Default Re: Transformer and Choke Grounding?

Quote:
Originally posted by kstylianos
I just received my power transformers. While taking them apart to paint the housings I found a wire that goes from the windings to the screw hole (which held the unpainted housings and mounting feet). I'm guessing this is a ground that needs to be addressed as both the chassis and PTX housing will be painted (no conductivity). Is it appropriate to extend this wire (with the rest of the leads) and include it the ground-bus architecture or attach it with the IEC port chassis ground?
Looks like an electrostatic shield between the primary and secondary(ies). That needs to be grounded.

Quote:
I'm guessing the OTX (James) should be grounded similarly?

Also received 4 open bracket filter chokes, which will be mounted under the chassis. Should I solder a lead to the mounting feet and ground these as well?

Thanks for any help.
The xfmrs need to be grounded, both for noise and safety considerations.
__________________
There are no foxes in atheistholes
www.dolphin-hsl.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2006, 06:13 AM   #3
wa2ise is offline wa2ise  United States
diyAudio Member
 
wa2ise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NJ
Quote:
Also received 4 open bracket filter chokes, which will be mounted under the chassis. Should I solder a lead to the mounting feet and ground these as well?
If it's a metal chassis, and the chokes directly mounted to it, that would take care of the grounding of their metal frames. Of course the chassis would be grounded.
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2006, 01:36 PM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Quote:
Looks like an electrostatic shield between the primary and secondary(ies). That needs to be grounded.
Quote:
If it's a metal chassis, and the chokes directly mounted to it, that would take care of the grounding of their metal frames. Of course the chassis would be grounded.
The chassis is metal, but will be painted.

Would it be acceptable to to extend the wire found in the PTX and solder a grounding wire to the feet of the chokes, and gound them to the chassis, possibly at the IEC ground? Or would it be better to incorporate these grounds in the ground bus. I'm thinking IEC port ground.

Thoughts?
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2006, 02:29 PM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
astouffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Pittsburgh, crumbling wasteland
I never thought about grounding the secondary of a transformer until I was doing some tests with a 25 watt SE transformer. Had a dummy resistor connected to the secondary and touched one end while it was running at full output. Talk about leakage, it felt like a good 100 volts or so coming through. No wonder the scope traces looked funny until it was grounded.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Using an old power transformer as a choke? aletheian Tubes / Valves 11 25th November 2005 03:07 AM
transformer case grounding tenderland Tubes / Valves 6 10th February 2005 02:51 PM
2x 6C33C TRANSFORMER & CHOKE WALTER BURKHARD Swap Meet 1 7th February 2004 08:25 PM
choke transformer question richt Analogue Source 22 5th November 2002 01:09 AM
Secondary of a transformer as a choke? Andypairo Pass Labs 2 27th October 2002 09:50 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:39 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2