• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Need 45 tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Emission Labs EML45 is current production but really expensive. Is it difficult to source 45 in the U.S. now? We had a shipment of about two dozen 45s last year from te U.S.

You can put in a 2A3 in a 45 circuit. The difference will be higher B+ (250V vs. 275V), lower current (50mA vs 35mA), and load (2.5K vs 5K). My Sovtek never complained. :D

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Late ST envelope type 45's can be had on eBay for relatively reasonable money. There are several companies that make the 45 currently, TJ, EML and AVVT come to mind - unfortunately these are well over $250/pr and depending on brand can be much more than this.

The 2A3 with changes previously mentioned will work, but it is a different tube, and sounds quite different. I recommend that if you want a 45 amplifier you buy good NOS or used 45's.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Joe,
This is for repair on your old radio's? They are darn expensive. I would not design anything new with 45's just due to that.

I bought a few for my old sets. I refuse to pay the nutty prices for new manufacture or some of the NOS guys either. It really hurt to lay that much money down.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Seriously keep an eye on eBay, they're as common as peas there, and you'll eventually find a usable pair for a reasonable price. You'll only be buying them once.

The alternative is to find your local antique radio club, they usually have swap meets where you can buy good new or used tubes from people you can actually talk to. Prices are comparable to or slightly less than eBay at the ones I have attended this year.

:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.