• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Schematic needed:MFA Magus B

I install a Pre-Attenuation circuit to reduce the gain. The Magus uses 100K pots for the gain and volume. Use two pairs of resistors, 82K for Rp1 and 10K for Rp2, for the gain and volume. I have more usable steps from 9 to 1 o’clock and the music with better details and texture. I use Shinkoh for Rp1 and Amtrans carbon film for Rp2.

Here is the link to Goldpoint the Pre-Attenuation circuit.
How To Get More Usable Steps

Sent an email to Scott Franklin about the mods. He said they used this circuit in MC reference. He recommended a 9k input resistor and a 200k feedback resistor. I have some cheap metal films that I can use to test with. I am going to try the higher and the lower values to see what make me happier. The one thing Scott pointed out was the high gain in the preamp was to get enough gain for a lower output mc cartridge. The other thing he pointed out is that the use of a really high value input resistor would roll off the high frequency response of the preamp. After I figure out the values I will go ahead and purchase some tantalum resistors or some naked Vishay resistors for the finished circuit.

Magus_Schematic.jpg

Attachments

• Magus_Schematic.jpg
    Magus_Schematic.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 156