• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Schematic needed:MFA Magus B

ok. I was gone to another planet (or sumpthin') for few months there, nothing that would suprise the regular folks here.

Back to the subject at hand.

I seem to be hearing that that there is a Magus schematic floating about now?

That would be nice.

Instead of breaking down and fixing my Modded Magus B-ver C, I simply fixed a different one..and also bought a Broken Counterpoint 3.0 in the meantime. :rolleyes:

Anyone got that schematic? :)

Hi,

I have attached the Magus A-1 schematic for people who would like to download.

Regards,

SKLau

Attachments

• magus_schematic_2.jpg
    magus_schematic_2.jpg
    565.2 KB · Views: 933
Hi all,

Kind of tired from the (original) VERY high gain of my Magus B preamp and its lack of some finesse when compared to other more refined preamps I decided to mainly reduce the gain with a small dose of negative feedback to it.

And before this decision on adopting NFB I had already swaped the original tube (6DJ8) to a 6922, ECC88, 6N1P, 6FQ7 without much success: a small change here and there but the modest performance (and way HIGH gain...) was always present.

When I say modest I'm referring to the preamp behavior before I added negative feedback: I will never forget the first song I listened to when NFB was added!
MUCH better control of bass response, deeper than ever, great midrange and beautiful top extension besides now a great range for the volume control.
And a better resolution of detail...

After this point I tried again the tubes listed above and added a new one: the 6N6P which became the absolute champion of this upgrade followed by the 6FQ7.
But one can use any of the above tubes and taste his particular outcome.
Heaters supply: with 6N6P power trafo a little warmer now but no problems after a very long time...

NFB mods: very simple.
All you have to do is replace the original input resistor from 1k to 100k.
No need to remove the PCI: just cut out the 1k resistor and solder the new one (100k, each channel) to the solder pads from above.
After that a piece of the wire of your audiophile choice from output to input and a R (shrink-wrapped) resistor in series with that wire.

Feedback amount: experiment in the range suggested in the picture (R: 390k to 820k).
The smaller this resistor value the smaller the preamp gain.

If for any reason the results are not to anyone's taste everything is very simple to undo.
I guess these mods can be applied to others Magus versions, check this first, is not that difficult.

Did these mods 5 years ago, never looked back...

[ ]
Ricardo

some pictures: