• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 ->EL84 with 12AT7?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I like EL84 . I can see some schematics
such as driving EL84 with EF86, 6SL7, 12AX7, etc.

However, EF86 and 6SL7 are not welcomed because my amp case is very small. 12AX7 has too much gain.

How about 12AT7 with EL84? Originally, this idea is from SE 6V6.
Absolutely, I need to adjust bias first of all. However, they use almost same current under plate voltage 250V with same load resistance(5K).

How about your idea?

Attachments

• 1.gif
    1.gif
    24.6 KB · Views: 594
Hi zxx123. 12 volts across 130 ohms as shown to the right of the schematic implies 92ma through the EL84. It won't be close. Off the top of my head in the range of 6 volts is more likely. I recommend leaving the 250 in place to start, it's close to my favourite and trades off increased 2nd harmonic distortion (and in my tests reduced upper harmonics) for a little more power. Everyone has a preference, check ten schematics you'll find ten operating points. The 6V6 values are a safe place to start and sound pretty good.

rdf said:
Hi zxx123. 12 volts across 130 ohms as shown to the right of the schematic implies 92ma through the EL84. It won't be close. Off the top of my head in the range of 6 volts is more likely. I recommend leaving the 250 in place to start, it's close to my favourite and trades off increased 2nd harmonic distortion (and in my tests reduced upper harmonics) for a little more power. Everyone has a preference, check ten schematics you'll find ten operating points. The 6V6 values are a safe place to start and sound pretty good.

Thanks, you are right.
I post corrected one again. (It was my mistake!)
Can you recommend me any power transformer for this 6V6 and EL84 project? I think the 2ndary should be 220V or little bit more, but I cannot find proper one in tubesandmore.com

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 526
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.