• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Measuring Triode-Connected Pentode Curves

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi rdf,

those plate curves actually look quite good :cool:

Did you watch g2 dissipation? If it stays within reason, and you don´t want to trace higher plate voltages out of safety reasons, try to do a reasonable extrapolation at least, so actual plate voltage swing at an inductor (OPT primary) would be covered.

Tom

Hi Tom. The 814 is apparently part of the same family as 813, with lower ratings. From the strong similarity in pentode curves I had high hopes. Maximum screen voltage varies by spec sheet, one says 300 VDC, another 400 VDC. That's why the curves end soon. 900 VDC with a 560 ohm screen protection resistor showed nothing to cause alarm though, no funny glows. :) At lower voltages the harmonic series is pretty strong, cleaning up rapidly with rising B+. Pentode mode shows the same behaviour. I suspect with plate voltages deep into four-digits the 814 could be a corker.

Good point about the screen dissipation. I should have monitored current as well. However with my 5k, 500 VDC rated SE OPT the best I could achieve as a tremendous sounding, hideously inefficient 2 watts. With a pair of 813's and a box of 828's (hint, hint) waiting their turn I decided to leave the 814 aside for now. So many tubes, so little time!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.