Emperors new clothes and the sound of tubes - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th November 2002, 01:10 PM   #51
dice45 is offline dice45  Germany
diyAudio Member

Brett,
fully agreed. No own experience in using signal xfrmrs as CF load, but what i hear from buddies is so encouraging that i would like to try it out myself in a balanced all-E180F preamp with CF line stage.
Still searching for the right piece of iron, 1+1:1+1, capable of tolerating some mA of imbalance.
Another interesting option could be to use the circuit from V & W p454, fig.11.35, diffential cathode follower, but this would ask for CCS loads for both tubes with the OPT primary floating and connected to the cathodes....
Old 17th November 2002, 01:14 PM   #52
dice45 is offline dice45  Germany
diyAudio Member

Frank,
not starting a fire, apart from my unease being misquoted (itching me way worse than being insulted), i did not mean you. Not the least.
But i find it interesting you take it that way. Very interesting.
I'd just like to remind you that the fact i stepped back on being insulted and let another moderator handle the case is in no way a gurantee i do it the same way next time. Or, should i do it, a guarantee the moderator in charge will be as gentle as last time.

During your sin bin, we had a lot of private email communication, remember?
'Fraid i have to admit to myself my effort was wasted; i could not observe you took any of the hints i gave you .... hints that an independent observer probably would judge as benevolent.

---------------------------
Bernhard
Old 17th November 2002, 02:13 PM   #53
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I'm curious if anyone else has tried using an active FET as an element in a hybrid CF? In my preamp, the CF is complemented by a p-channel source follower (i.e., working down, B+, tube, cathode bias resistor, output, source bias resistor, pFET, B-, with the grid and the gate connected together as the input and put at DC ground). Sorry for the verbal description, I don't have schematic capture software.

The penalty is a slightly higher output Z (the parallel Z of [tube source Z + Rk] with [FET source Z + Rs]), but it's still only a few hundred ohms. Advantage is source/sink capability and reduced distortion compared with CF or source follower alone. A servo nulls the offset.
Old 17th November 2002, 10:50 PM   #54
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Dave said:
Quote:
The one from Nanaimo?
Precisely right Dave. Do I have to Krall over you to get to her?
IMO There is a subliminal intimacy in her breathing and timing.

Brett,
Quote:
John, out of curiousity, are you using the iron as an anode load, or in parafeed, SE->SE, SE->PP or PP->PP?
It's SE->SE. Pretty conventional stuff, but I haven't been mean on the iron. The driver (VV32) runs at 500v 40mA. The driver transformer is 10cmx10cmx10cm (potted) c-core, bifilar wound.
Previously I was running a 6550 CF off +200v'ish -250v @15mA DC coupled to the output (845) valve's grid. Bias was applied to the 6550 grid.

SY,
What I'm really looking for is that illusive PNP valve; you know, the kind that emit holes?
Old 17th November 2002, 11:19 PM   #55
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by dhaen
Precisely right Dave. Do I have to Krall over you to get to her?
IMO There is a subliminal intimacy in her breathing and timing.
Not at all... i understand she mostly hangs out in NYNY these days. Nanaimo thou is just about an hour north of here, and we go up once every 4-6 weeks to scoure the 2nd hand stores...

There are some others from the island that are good too, Nelly Furtado comes to mind.

dave
Old 18th November 2002, 07:59 AM   #56
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the info Dave. It's a bit far to come for some bits though
She's touring the UK at present Damn, should have asked her to bring some bits with her
Funny, at the time I said:
Quote:
Only a certain young blond jazz singer playing in the background keeps me sane.
I had no idea it was her birthday.
She's looks pretty good for 38

Cheers,
Old 18th November 2002, 03:43 PM   #57
diyAudio Senior Member

Default BELOW THE BELT?

Bernhard,

Quote:
not starting a fire, apart from my unease being misquoted (itching me way

Likely I did misquote you and for that I apologize.

What bothers me though is why you feel the need to put your innermind musings here on my expense.

That I find very low and does not reflect very well on yourself nor do I fail to see how the forum is going to benefit from it.

In fact quite to the contrary:

You feel the need to put a number of members in a bad light and by the same token the moderator(s) replacing you.

Let me inform you that nothing out of the ordinary happened and that everything was straightened out as swiftly as possible.

Thanks to all involved and a moderator that was doing the best he could to please everyone.

If this is your way of thanking members that contribute in their best possible way and your fellow moderator(s) along with it than I really don't know what we are all doing here.

You force me to go public with this so I'll take the consequences when you change persona.

Best regards,
Old 18th November 2002, 05:05 PM   #58
Joel is offline Joel  United States
diyAudio Member

Ok, so I'm finally getting around to reading all this, and the preamp posts.
Let me just say this, and then I'll let it drop.

There seems to be a general concensus on this forum about what is "good" design, and what isn't. About what "sounds good" and what doesn't. And there is an undertone of hostility towards those few members who do not think the same way. By posting comments saying that you don't believe in the different sounds of capacitors, you will get several condescending, or insulting posts hurled back at you. If you cannot quote from a "guru", you are labled un-informed. This is unfortunate.

I never said "all tubes sound the same". I am not an idiot. I know damn well that if you replace a 6SN7 with a 6SL7, it will work and sound differently. I never said SRPP is bad. I never said chokes or IT's are bad. Yet, some members feel obligated to insult me because I suggest alternate circuits.

If you think gold foil capacitors with a linen dielectric made from mummy wrappings sounds better than anything else, fine. But don't attack me because I don't. This has become, sadly, a hobby about spending money, and following the latest dogma.
Old 18th November 2002, 05:37 PM   #59
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Joel
By posting comments saying that you don't believe in the different sounds of capacitors, you will get several condescending, or insulting posts hurled back at you.
Go look for the thread about taking the outside plastic of power supply caps, i think you will find there is some healthy discussion.

dave
Old 18th November 2002, 05:42 PM   #60
diyAudio Senior Member

Default JUST WHEN I RECOVERED

Oh,oh....

Quote:
Go look for the thread about taking the outside plastic of power supply caps, i think you will find there is some healthy discussion.
For an Alice in Wonderland trip?

Na,not to worry we'll treat the man nicely.

Hide this!Advertise here!