Help a total tube amp newbie find a super simple design... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th March 2006, 12:30 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Help a total tube amp newbie find a super simple design...

Hello!

I have recently become very curious about tube amplifiers. You see, one of my friends has a synthesizer that has actual tubes in it as an effect. I really liked the character it gave to the sound and i'd like to have this character/warmth in my main speakers (3" full rangers).

But after much searching i am daunted by the task of constructing one of these as i have never in my life worked with tubes. I have constructed a P2P gainclone so this will ideally be a walk in the park...

But I have yet to find a simple/low cost schematic. So, i figured that i would turn to you guys for advice.

Keep in mind that i've never worked with tubes or transformers (much) so i'd like this to be a simple low component design.

NO KITS!

Thanks!
Old 26th March 2006, 01:30 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I,m in the same boat. Try boozehound labratorys for a good tube hi-fi primer (it helped me alot). Angela Inst. sight has some schematics with parts lists. From what I've been able to dicifer single ended amps are simplest to build. The only real advice I can give is don't get in a hurry. The more I dig, the more I realize there is a lot of thought and compromise involved in choosing a circuit. I think I would have been disappointed if I had built the first thing that looked great. Your in a good place, there are some really nice people here that have been very helpful and patient with me. Good luck and keep me posted on any good stuff you find along the way jaysriviera@yahoo.com
Old 26th March 2006, 01:44 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Before you can figure out which amp to build, you need to figure out how much power you need (or want).
Old 26th March 2006, 01:55 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I am kindof in the same boat, I am just to **** indecisive on what I want to build/refurbish, a very simple SE design I found from Mr. Kenji Mizushima. Despite his poor english, it looks like this amplifier is pretty cool and dilivers 4 watts of SE power!

http://members.at.infoseek.co.jp/lagarto/el84se_diy.htm
Old 26th March 2006, 02:06 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

That is the question of the week for me. I really enjoyed the lundahl page you suggested tubelab. It has me wandering if 8 watts will be enough. I wish I had some way of measuring power output I'm using now on my old faithful dyna. I mean not every amp I own has to be able to irratate the neighbors but it seems to me that you need a certain amount of current to get even Heresy's making good bass. Just more thoughts on the single ended el34 project. Thanks as allways for the help, Jay
Old 26th March 2006, 02:41 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Help a total tube amp newbie find a super simple design...

Quote:
Originally posted by nerd of nerds
I really liked the character it gave to the sound and i'd like to have this character/warmth in my main speakers (3" full rangers).

I have constructed a P2P gainclone so this will ideally be a walk in the park...

But I have yet to find a simple/low cost schematic. So, i figured that i would turn to you guys for advice.
A few comments:
(1) building a P2P gainclone is hardly a strong enough background that will make scratchbuilding a tube amp "a walk in the park"; be prepared for a challenge, but if you are up to it, also quite a rewarding one
(2) I doubt you will find a "simple/low cost schematic" that will drive a 3" fullranger, which I suppose is about 87-90 dB/1W/1m, to loud levels. I suggest you lower your expectations and just aim to build an amp that will teach you how to put together a tube amp, period. For this goal, you can search for some threads on making spud amps using the 50EH5 or similar tubes pulled out of old consoles, or using new 6C45P tubes. If you want to aim higher you can probably buy new Edcor PP transformers and new Russian 6BM8 equivalents on eBay to build something with a bit more power.
Old 26th March 2006, 02:49 AM   #7
rickl is offline rickl  United States
diyAudio Member

Default El Cheapo?

I wonder if El Cheapo would be a good introduction amp to build and not spend a lot of $$.

http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb/...num=1126228937

rick
Old 26th March 2006, 03:27 AM   #8
lndm is offline lndm  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jaymanaa
I wish I had some way of measuring power output I'm using now on my old faithful dyna.
Can you just play a tone (maybe 200Hz?) until you hear clipping and measure RMS voltage with dmm? More accurate with a CRO of course.
Old 26th March 2006, 04:06 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Help a total tube amp newbie find a super simple design...

Quote:
Originally posted by leadbelly

A few comments:
(1) building a P2P gainclone is hardly a strong enough background that will make scratchbuilding a tube amp "a walk in the park"; be prepared for a challenge, but if you are up to it, also quite a rewarding one
(2) I doubt you will find a "simple/low cost schematic" that will drive a 3" fullranger, which I suppose is about 87-90 dB/1W/1m, to loud levels. I suggest you lower your expectations and just aim to build an amp that will teach you how to put together a tube amp, period. For this goal, you can search for some threads on making spud amps using the 50EH5 or similar tubes pulled out of old consoles, or using new 6C45P tubes. If you want to aim higher you can probably buy new Edcor PP transformers and new Russian 6BM8 equivalents on eBay to build something with a bit more power.

I agree with you about the gainclone thing...But that is just the most recent thing i've finished. I have done MANY other electronic projects before this.

As far as finding some old tubes from consoles...I nicked the old tubes from my big *** philco radio and thus far i have (there are still individual tubes in there) a pair of 7x7s, and a pair of 6k6gts.

I'd like to keep this as simple as possible. This will definetly be an experimentation project. Although i would like to get some good use out of the final product maybe as a pc speaker amp or something like that...

I have plenty of resistors on hand FWIW.
Old 26th March 2006, 04:26 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Help a total tube amp newbie find a super simple design...

Quote:
Originally posted by nerd of nerds
I'd like to keep this as simple as possible.
As I said, it doesn't get simpler than a spud amp. Here's one example. You can search for others, Geek posted a nice one recently.

http://digilander.libero.it/paeng/a_...e_Tube_Amp.htm

Hide this!Advertise here!