What To Do - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th March 2006, 05:18 PM   #1
jwatts is offline jwatts  United States
diyAudio Member

Default What To Do

I was at the dump last Saturday and managed to find an old reel to reel for a whopping five bucks. This thing has a monstrous 600 volt transformer in it and a 5Y3GT rectifier tube and it appears to work fine. So I gutted it and now I have a really nice transformer and the components to build a nice power supply. I have a four 7591 power tubes lying around along with several 12AX7ís plenty of caps, resistors, a nice metal chassis. I donít however have a set of output transformers with the required impedance to build a push pull amp with the 7591ís. Does anybody have any thoughts on what I could do with those parts? I really donít have the cash to shell out for the transformers for a push pull amp.
Old 24th March 2006, 05:38 PM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Put the parts carefully away until such a time as you can buy some decent output transformers. They won't vaporize in the meantime.
Old 24th March 2006, 05:41 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Consider SEPP and then you can use salvaged mains toroidals for outputs. Sounds good to.

Shoog
Old 24th March 2006, 05:49 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

A quick calculation suggests that SEPP might just work. 300V over each tube uses your 600V. Needs a 3K load which a 230:12V transformer would supply and would be easy to source. You would get about 10W of class A, or a bit more with a 50% UL design using the 110V primary winding.
This is basically the power amp I have at the moment, but with 807's.

Shoog
Old 24th March 2006, 06:25 PM   #5
jwatts is offline jwatts  United States
diyAudio Member

Default SEPP

The transformer CT is 300V. SEPP meaning (Single End Push Pull). My knowledge level on tube design is intermediate. Are there any schematics on the internet concerning this design?
Old 24th March 2006, 06:46 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

You can derive 600V DC from a 300V AC centre tap so that would be OK.
There are designs for SEPP amps on the web. There is one for an EL36 and one for an EL34 which come to mind. Do a Google search and see if you like what you find. Unfortunately you would have to learn enough to actually design the output stage yourself. This isn't so difficult when you grasp the basic principle.

Shoog

Hide this!Advertise here!