• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Parallel Two Tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am fairly new at this biz and I read some place that is was poor practice to simply wire two tubes in parallel. I am building a new preamp and I want to wire two triodes in the tube (a dual triode tube) in parallel with each other and treat it as a single triode. I didn’t know if the electron flow between plates would be going in opposite directions or something for each triode. Is this ok to do? Since am on the subject what about other tube types tetrode, pentode, etc. If it is unlawful to do what is exactly happing to make it a issue.

In Tennessee, the only thing that's illegal is drinking whiskey in the same county it was distilled.

Tubes can be paralleled, generally without issue. High transconductance tubes may need a bit of attention to separate grid stopper resistors, and layout considerations may sometimes require a bit of inductance here or there, but 99% of the time, you wire 'em up in parallel without incident.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.