• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Heater switch transistor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone used the following, or similar, circuit to switch a tube heater? I'm looking for a transistor to use, but I think I might need to use a darlington pair.

Current is 600ma, hfe min 120-200. A MJE340 would almost do it with a small driver transistor with high hfe (BC547?).

Attachments

• filamentswitch.png
    filamentswitch.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 201
A FET was the answer. I tried to reply earlier, but my post was being still being moderated.

I remembered I had a few IRLZ44 power FETs in my junk box. This tested great, so I etched the board and used the FET.

The purpose is to give a PIC control of the heater. This amp (gainclone with tube preamp) is remote controlled. The PIC has a startup sequence, activated by the remote, that does the following:

1. Turn on heater.
2. 20 second delay
3. Start B+ SMPS (240 volts)
4. Start gainclone SMPS (+35 volts)
5. Increase volume to previous setting (before last shut down sequence)

There is no interface on the PCB - everything is controlled from a remote. I really like this design. I'm still waiting on the digital pot IC, but everything else works great.

I'm very happy with the SMPS for the tube supply. I substituted a soft recovery diode for my standard MUR160, and used some big caps with a choke in a C-L-C configuration. No switching noise, even at maximum volume.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.