• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Making a muscular triode monoblock amplifier using P-P Eimac 450TH's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As my component gathering and preliminary testing of the output xfmer has more or less reached 'critical mass' it now appears likely that this almost life long dreamt about monster power tube amplifier will actually become a hardware reality.

This high powered (about 1.5 kW RMS output) all valve amplifier will have all the power needed to supply low frequency energy for the finest home reference system or to power the electric monorail at Disneyworld. :D It will have a 'glow in the dark' quality that is capable of competing with the best fireplace, and will be a comfort on those chilly northern winter nights.

Why am I going to build such an outrageous tube amplifier? Because after decades of collecting parts, I finally have all the parts. These are now getting really hard to find and very expensive. Lemme ask you. If you had all the parts, and the tools, the place, and the time to do it, wouldn't you? ;)

This thread will document my progress and I hope might inspire others to push the corner of the envelope in their own tube audio worlds as well. This is not about a power contest. If I wanted to make a 25 kW ouptut amp I could do that too as I have some pretty big components and tubes stashed away salvaged from retired AM broadcast radio transmitters. That is not the point at all. I want an amp that will look fantastic in a living room, be capable of operating on the power available in the house already, not having to pour concrete and put up chain link fencing in the front yard for a dedicated power substation, and the 1.5 kW output power range is not untypical of what many audio enthusiasts are using presently with sand amps providing the push, since tube amplifiers of this power class are virtually nonexistant in the marketplace. That is the beauty of DIY. You can make almost anything you want that you cannot otherwise obtain.

I hereby declare the 2006 Tube Amp High Power DIY Olympic Sized Passtime Games (timeline unimportant) OPEN! :smash:

This is nuts. What will you do for a tranny? How much does it weigh? Won't you need to pour a concrete slab to install it? More details? Can I come visit for the smoke test? I have a Fender Twin you can use as a driver if that speeds up the prototype, assuming that 100 watts is enough drive...

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hey Rob,
This I'm going to have to see! It's a cinch it won't be stolen with anything less than a flatbed and crane!!

Assuming you survive, we can use it to heat coffee. Tech's run on coffee. And sadly, I don't doubt for a second that you are more than serious.

Guys, look for ball lightning in Ontario.

-Chris ;)

anatech said:
Hey Rob,
This I'm going to have to see! It's a cinch it won't be stolen with anything less than a flatbed and crane!!

Assuming you survive, we can use it to heat coffee. Tech's run on coffee. And sadly, I don't doubt for a second that you are more than serious.

Guys, look for ball lightning in Ontario.

-Chris ;)

Chris,

How about Ball Lightning (plasma) pulsating and playing music?! My living room is already an extension of my lab so what the heck. Try experiments like that with a mega power sand amp and you get instantly fused silicon. Tubes are tough. They will survive current overloads, inductive overvoltage kickbacks and EMP's.

I hope to keep the weight down to 500-600 lbs. It will be on dress castors and be maybe half the size of a washing machine. This is less than the combined weight of my two Ultor-X speakers.

anatech said:
Gee Rob,
I heard that Anne Murray was looking for 25 KW mono tube amps for her next tour. That's so her farmer can hear her. :clown:

BTW, I was trying to figure out where the 25 KW figure popped out from myself.

-Chris

I had mentioned that I had the parts to build one of that power range but that sheer unadulterated power was not the sole object of this particular exercise. I want something that I can actually put in my home, actually use and well...yeah show off. :bigeyes:

There are just too many high power sand amp owners that think they are hot chit. Us tube defenders have to equalize the playing field. :smash:

anatech said:
Hi Rob,
Now I'm thinking of point source plasma as transducers.

I'm also thinking two more things.

1. CSA approval unlikely
2. Darwin rules. :devilr:

-Chris

#1 doesn't apply to experimental prototypes and research work. I have no plans to market these as a product. If you want one you'll have to learn how, come up with a lot of cash for the parts and make your own.

#2 unfortunately applies. Must always be aware, methodical in safety procedures and careful.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Rob,
I want something that I can actually put in my home, actually use and well...yeah show off
Look at this another way. With 25 KW of tube power per channel, your living room can be anywhere you want it to be ....... as long as you are near hydro distribution corridors.

I think 1.5 KW of tube power per channel will be awesome. What are your plate voltages going to be? Do you expect discharge in high humidity? (summer rain outside)

-Chris

anatech said:
Hi Rob,

Look at this another way. With 25 KW of tube power per channel, your living room can be anywhere you want it to be ....... as long as you are near hydro distribution corridors.

I think 1.5 KW of tube power per channel will be awesome. What are your plate voltages going to be? Do you expect discharge in high humidity? (summer rain outside)

-Chris

Chris, All,

I am only making one monoblock. It will sound full range but my audio plans are for bass and subwoofer applications. I only have one hunk of iron suitable as an output xfmer, so monoblock it has to be, I don't need this much power for my L&R full range speakers. My 40 watt/ch 300B/805 SET amp is adequate.

I think my B+ will be 3.4 kV DC with current peaks of an ampere or so. It will be properly designed and constructed so that high humididty will not cause any surface flashovers. That would be unnacceptable IMO.

I hope to incorporate a means of power control so that the amp may be operated at lower B+ and less power when the full capabilities are not needed. This will help in home use from a $/kW power use perspective and the heat load, especially in the summer.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Rob,
That makes perfect sense (making only one). Bass only makes the output transformer less critical than it could be. Where th devil did you get this part??

HV has a habit of going where it wants to go. It's a good thing you are the one behind the project with your extensive experience. Anyone else would worry the heck out of me.

Your full power DC supply is a tall order. Especially at that current level.

-Chris

Hey-Hey!!!,
And I thought I have a big one in mind...PP GU80. 12V/12A cathodes. 450W plate dissipation, 120W g2 and it's a supressor-grid pentode, not a beamer like the 813.

I figured on 300W of output, with a 1kV B+ feeding 400 mA to each plate, and 75 to each g2. That's over a kW per pair of finals....can you say, 'winter only'?

I think I'll built a few more in between. Right now I am in the 30W plate stage( HY69 ). Next is the 65W plate( 4E27 ), then 100W type( 813/GK71 ), and then maybe on to the big one.

Oh, yes, it only counts if you stay Class A.....AB1 is for the cheap commercial stuff.
cheers,
Douglas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.