Hammond Amp Question - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th March 2006, 02:27 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Hammond Amp Question

Hi, I recently acquired an old (1958) Hammond amp and power supply out of a pr40 tone cabinet. My original reason for buying it (cheap at a local auction) was for the 6 el84's and 12ax7's. I hooked it up just to try it and it sounded ok. It's a little different animal in the fact that it has one channel for 2oohz and below, one channel for 200 and up, and another channel for 200 and up that fed a reverb unit. I'm thinking about recapping it and using the 2, 200 and up channels as stereo and the lowhz channel as a center or sub. The high channels drove a 12 each while the low drove 2 15's. The power supply uses 2 5u4's. Does anyone have any expeience with these and would I maybe want to change coupling capacitor values (is that how they are controlling the weird frequency response)? I've been chomping at the bit to try a somewhat simple project and thought this may be a good one to get my feet wet, as I don't have much doe (50 bucks for amp reverb and speakers) in it. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated and I promise to read Rozenblitz again when I'm done. Thanks Jay
Old 18th March 2006, 05:42 AM   #2
lndm is offline lndm  Australia
diyAudio Member

You are probably right about the coupling caps but better to post the schematic to make sure. A centre channel would want higher than 200Hz.

You should change out the electrolytic capacitors before you get serious.
Old 18th March 2006, 06:03 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Looking at the schematic

http://hammondb3organ.net/schematics.../pr40/pr40.php

I would say the coupling caps are how they are doing it.
Old 18th March 2006, 07:42 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Good one Tim. It pleases me that schematics for these good instrument amps are still available.

It is a little hard to read but in the bass amp section (of the original model) you will see C13, a 0u0022 shunting cap that cuts the bass at around 200Hz. Also look at the three 0u0015 caps soon after.

For the tweeter amp look at C1,2,4,5.
Old 18th March 2006, 03:14 PM   #5
poobah is offline poobah  United States
diyAudio Member

One note here guys... having a B3 that I worked on a bit.

Hammond was well aware of the fact that their organs could not produce a frequency over 6 kHz. They weren't dummies either... so they wouldn't have spent alot of energy ($$) enhancing the high frequency behaviour of the OPT's.

Just something to keep in mind... You can get sweet sound out these amps... but I don't know about the highs.

Old 19th March 2006, 12:05 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

That might explain the small caps shunting some of the grids to their cathodes.
Old 19th March 2006, 01:06 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Good point Poobah, I would have never thought about the organ (I bought it too-a C3) not being able to produce uhf's. I think I'll still play with it, its not like scrapping a leslie. Maybe some new hammond iron for an old Hammond amp. Besides I,ve got a bunch of coupling caps and el84's laying around and the irons hot so to speak. Thanks everyone for the good input, if I don't let all the magic smoke out I'll let you know how it turns out. Jay

Thanks for the schematic too!
Old 19th March 2006, 05:42 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

By the way, Where in Kansas are you?
Old 19th March 2006, 02:03 PM   #9
poobah is offline poobah  United States
diyAudio Member

Hey Jay,

Have fun with PR40... butcher at will. Be kind to the C3 though. I know way too much A's, B's , & C's; lemme know if you need some help.

You need to recap the C ($100) before you play too much though...

Old 19th March 2006, 02:07 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

To extend what Poo said, Hammond also knew that the 200Hz+ amps were not going to produce low frequecies, so the output transformers were designed accordingly. You'll never get 20Hz out of them.

Although I get red in the face everytime I read something like "those junky output transformers would be good in a guitar amp" I think it's true in this case. No, the transformers are not junk, actually they sound pretty nice, they just won't go low, but a guitar amp doesn't need to go down to 20Hz...

Hide this!Advertise here!