• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Hammond Amp Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I recently acquired an old (1958) Hammond amp and power supply out of a pr40 tone cabinet. My original reason for buying it (cheap at a local auction) was for the 6 el84's and 12ax7's. I hooked it up just to try it and it sounded ok. It's a little different animal in the fact that it has one channel for 2oohz and below, one channel for 200 and up, and another channel for 200 and up that fed a reverb unit. I'm thinking about recapping it and using the 2, 200 and up channels as stereo and the lowhz channel as a center or sub. The high channels drove a 12 each while the low drove 2 15's. The power supply uses 2 5u4's. Does anyone have any expeience with these and would I maybe want to change coupling capacitor values (is that how they are controlling the weird frequency response)? I've been chomping at the bit to try a somewhat simple project and thought this may be a good one to get my feet wet, as I don't have much doe (50 bucks for amp reverb and speakers) in it. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated and I promise to read Rozenblitz again when I'm done. Thanks Jay

Good one Tim. It pleases me that schematics for these good instrument amps are still available.

It is a little hard to read but in the bass amp section (of the original model) you will see C13, a 0u0022 shunting cap that cuts the bass at around 200Hz. Also look at the three 0u0015 caps soon after.

For the tweeter amp look at C1,2,4,5.

One note here guys... having a B3 that I worked on a bit.

Hammond was well aware of the fact that their organs could not produce a frequency over 6 kHz. They weren't dummies either... so they wouldn't have spent alot of energy ($$) enhancing the high frequency behaviour of the OPT's.

Just something to keep in mind... You can get sweet sound out these amps... but I don't know about the highs.

;)

Good point Poobah, I would have never thought about the organ (I bought it too-a C3) not being able to produce uhf's. I think I'll still play with it, its not like scrapping a leslie. Maybe some new hammond iron for an old Hammond amp. Besides I,ve got a bunch of coupling caps and el84's laying around and the irons hot so to speak. Thanks everyone for the good input, if I don't let all the magic smoke out I'll let you know how it turns out. Jay

Thanks for the schematic too!

To extend what Poo said, Hammond also knew that the 200Hz+ amps were not going to produce low frequecies, so the output transformers were designed accordingly. You'll never get 20Hz out of them.

Although I get red in the face everytime I read something like "those junky output transformers would be good in a guitar amp" I think it's true in this case. No, the transformers are not junk, actually they sound pretty nice, they just won't go low, but a guitar amp doesn't need to go down to 20Hz...

Hello, The c3 was donated to my apprentice (pipefitter), he's back from Iraq (Ranger) and wants to get his little girl lessons. I never thought about recapping as it was used for Church service up until 2 days before I got it, but probably not a bad idea. I live in Gardner on the lake. It's about 30 minutes SW of KC. Be careful if you are close as I am looking for a mentor. I,m kinda struggling with Rozenblitz and Morgan but still having a lot of fun! Thanks Jay

Edit here,Tim just noticed your from Wichita. Not too far, I do my wal-mart shopping in Ottawa, and the wife has a aunt in Wichita.

Hi Jay,

I did find someone who had the caps for the Hammond PSU remanufactured on the original mallory equipment... about $70 each... a fair deal. Not so urgent an issue if the organ has been in regular service though.

There are also some caps in the tone generator in the C that should be replaced to restore the sound...

;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.