• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Impedance matching

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have speakers with impedance of 6ohms. My PP amp's OPT's have taps for 4 and 8 ohms. What should I do?

Technically, the 4 Ohms tap should be better suited. But just chose the tap that sounds best to you. Chances are that it would be the 4 Ohms tap, too, since it would give a somewhat better damping factor (and a bit less output power, but you won´t notice that by ear w/o measuring the actual Po).

Tom

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2004
You don't mention in what mode your OP tubes are connected and this makes a difference, as I'll try to explain below:

* With triodes or triode-strapped beam tetrodes/pentodes, it's better to err on the side of a higher impedance than a lower impedance, so use the 4 ohm tap with a 6 ohm speaker.

* In tetrode/pentode mode, the opposite is true, i.e. it's better to load them with a lower impedance, by using the 8 ohm tap with a 6 ohm speaker.

* For ultralinear connection, there is more leeway and it probably doesn't really matter which tap you use. However, in general with UL, using a higher load impedance (the 4 ohm tap) will give less power and less distortion, while using a lower impedance (the 8 ohm tap) will have the opposite effect.

The above is just a general guideline and what works best for you may depend very much on your actual speakers. As you're probably aware, the nominal impedance of a speaker is an average that sometimes doesn't mean too much; the actual impedance can vary all over the place with frequency, depending on speaker design.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.