Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd March 2006, 02:41 AM   #31
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by leadbelly
Thanks for the tip. Any fans of transformer coupling in the audience? How does iron compare to boutique caps for coupling?
I've been avoiding it, but am rethinking this. Here's A Thread over in the Solid State forum where they were discussing this concept.

If you're gonna go the xfmr route, best make certain that you get good iron. That's not the place to go cheap, and really good xfmrs certainly aren't cheap.

Cheap iron == Click the image to open in full size. sonics.
Old 22nd March 2006, 03:57 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Everybody's been discussing these wonderful PS and bypass caps, what do you guys use for coupling caps?
Regarding coupling caps: If there is room on the chassis, what do you guys think of these ASC (or other) PIO caps for coupling? I've read others like PIO caps for coupling as they sound 'smoother'. But I'm a newbie, so I really don't know any better. Are there any preferable sonic (or other) differences of PIO over the Auricaps, BlackGates, etc....?

Also, can't find 47uf and 100uf Auricaps. You guys have other GOOD suggestions?
Old 22nd March 2006, 05:15 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Protos,
Thanks for the info.
I recently bought a pair of Dynaco Mk IIIs. My idea was to "borrow" the iron to play with. The B+ on the original Dynaco circuit stabilizes at 480 V. However, while warming-up, the voltages on the power supply caps reach up to 525 to 585 V. Your experience suggests that at least these caps won't blow up the first time I turn it on!

Gary,
Please let us know the results of your smoke test. Enquiring minds want to know! If you can run these reliably at 635 V, I would feel much better about my warm-up voltages.

Tubelab,
As usual, you added an insight that makes sense once I read it, but would not have seen on my own. I think I’ll take your lead and invest in that sheet of Plexiglas… just in case.
I'm going to be a NewB for a while.

Looney
Old 23rd March 2006, 02:59 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

In my PowerDrive circuit the capacitor sees a constant resistive load, so the cap choice is not as critical as it is in a normal design. I use Malory or Panasonic film caps for most amps. For high dollar designs, I use Auricaps. They do make a difference.
Old 23rd March 2006, 03:50 AM   #35
Tweeker is offline Tweeker  United States
diyAudio Member

Also, can't find 47uf and 100uf Auricaps. You guys have other GOOD suggestions?

If you need a high quality cap at these values, your probably going to be looking at motor run caps. Anything not metallized will be huge, and metallized caps wont be small.
Old 23rd March 2006, 04:04 AM   #36
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

You make the call on "good', I'm lukewarm on them, but Solens are avalable to 330uF.
Old 24th March 2006, 07:48 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Does anybody could compare the sound of the mentioned ASC X386S caps made by Shizuki to Black Gate WKZ or Elna Cerafine?

Hide this!Advertise here!