Higher value oil capacitors? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th March 2006, 01:39 AM   #11
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Sherman. Midori's site gives the impression just the 100 uF value cap is the ASC Shizuki model from Japan. I have both American (40uF and 60 uF, bought from Allied Electric if I recall) and Japanese ASC caps. The first have magnetic terminals, the second don't. Do you know if the 40 uF caps you bought from Midori are magnetic? Thx in advance.
Old 16th March 2006, 02:47 AM   #12
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

The Midori Meadows ASC 100uF caps are the japanese made Shizuki with non magnetic construction - aluminum cans and copper terminals. I bought 4 less than a month ago.. Nice caps. I am not sure that any of the others currently available there have copper terminals, but I believe it is the case that all X386S series caps are non magnetic construction and some/most do also have copper terminals.

Sharon orders more custom made caps from Japan from time to time and I believe that there are some interesting ones arriving shortly.
Old 16th March 2006, 03:11 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys!

What does the "motor run" refer to?

And (not having heard them) what is their sonic signature vs better electrolytics ~

More or less detail? smoother? Faster? Other?

Cheers
Old 16th March 2006, 03:33 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Kevin,

Are the X386S caps the ones that are good to 600V DC?

Thanks,
Looney
Old 16th March 2006, 06:15 AM   #15
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kevinkr
The Midori Meadows ASC 100uF caps are the japanese made Shizuki with non magnetic construction - aluminum cans and copper terminals.

Hi Kevin. The 100 uF caps I bought from Midori are the same as yours. However that value is the only cap she specifically calls 'Shizuki'. Her 55 uF ASC is labelled 'made in USA' and doesn't mention Shizuki. I know for certain the 40 uF and 60 uF American-made ASC X386S caps I bought from Allied Electric use steel terminals.

Quote:
Sharon orders more custom made caps from Japan from time to time and I believe that there are some interesting ones arriving shortly.
A good heads up, thanks!
Old 18th March 2006, 04:57 PM   #16
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Hi LooneyTunes,
It depends a lot on the internal construction, I have noted some capacitors with relatively low AC ratings which have much higher dc ratings than the rms to pk volts rating would imply, and others where this is clearly not the case. I think these voltage ratings relate more to corona inception voltage than the dielectric strength of the film and this is construction related.

I guess to make a long story short, I wouldn't operate these particular capacitors at anything higher than 500V as they have a 330VAC rating, and I have not found a specific reference to a safe max voltage on the ASC site for these caps, although there are some general guidelines.
Old 18th March 2006, 06:29 PM   #17
Sherman is offline Sherman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rdf
Hi Sherman. Midori's site gives the impression just the 100 uF value cap is the ASC Shizuki model from Japan. I have both American (40uF and 60 uF, bought from Allied Electric if I recall) and Japanese ASC caps. The first have magnetic terminals, the second don't. Do you know if the 40 uF caps you bought from Midori are magnetic? Thx in advance.

I don't actually know if the terminals are magnetic or not. I suspect they probably are to at least some degree as they appear to be steel.
Old 18th March 2006, 06:35 PM   #18
Sherman is offline Sherman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rick57
Thanks guys!

What does the "motor run" refer to?

And (not having heard them) what is their sonic signature vs better electrolytics ~

More or less detail? smoother? Faster? Other?

Cheers

There are two types of caps commonly used with AC induction motors such as those in furnace blowers, pool filters etc., motor "start" and motor "run".

Motor start caps give a "boost" to the power at the time the motor begins operation to get is moving. They aren't designed for continuous use. Motor run caps are designed for continuous use and are the ones you want for amp use.

I have a hard time describing sound in words but I suppose I would say the oil-filled motor runs sound less "grainy" than inexpensive electrolytics. More costly 'lytics have a sound closer to the motor runs.
Old 19th March 2006, 05:46 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Thanks Kevin,

I was hoping that these ASCs would stretch to 600V. Oh well... A minor disappointment is better than fireworks, although not nearly as "exciting".

Looney
Old 19th March 2006, 08:36 PM   #20
protos is offline protos  Greece
diyAudio Member

The midori ones are 370 VAC rated so they are maximum 520VDC.However there may be some who would stretch them to 600 VDC. I have used these in my amp up to 530 VDC on a continuous basis and on one occasion they were tried as high as 600 V but briefly.Better play safe with 600VDC and get the higher V rated asc caps.

Hide this!Advertise here!