• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Use 5KV transformer as output transformer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sounds like a microwave oven transformer. The answer is maybe.

To work, the opt primary winding (5kv) has to have enough inductance to meet the proposed reflected impedance at 20Hz.

A large power xfmr winding will probably have large interwinding capacitance making it no good above a certain frequency.

I sweep all the power transformers I collect, measuring impedance with frequency, and note the impedance at 20Hz and the turnover resonance (highest useful frequency) and almost all are no good, even if you are not fussy, most are horrible.

Usually, larger xfmrs have very low inductances, I have found a few small (20va and smaller) that can be used as plate/grid chokes for pre stages.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Impedance transformation ratio of a 40:1 transformer is the square of the turns ratio so in this case it's 1600:1 or 1.6K to 1 ohm or 3.2K to 2 ohms, 6.4K:4 ohms, 12.8K:8 ohms, etc. It is doubtful it has anywhere near enough primary inductance for use at low frequencies, and unless there is a lot of interleaved primaries and secondaries leakage inductance is going to s*ck so there isn't going to be much high end response either... (Not done in 5KV power transformers as you want isolation.)

I would expect dcr on the 120V primary (used as a secondary) to be several ohms or greater which is not good for damping factor either.

It is very unlikely that this transformer would any good as an opt.

In the original post the writer says that he has a 5KVA transformer. That my friends is large by huge by immense. If is works at all it would be strictly a low frequency item. Possibly for a subwoofer. I would think that the losses through this thing would be great.

Mains transformers for OPT's in a guitar amp. I did that too back in high school, when I didn't have any money for real transformers. Old dead TV sets were free at the local trash dump. I can't remember the sound exactly, but it does work to a degree. Definitely does not qualify for HiFi.

I have had some success using mains toroids for OPT's, but there can be no DC flowing through them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.