6SN7 some good some bad - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th March 2006, 04:37 PM   #11
cedus is offline cedus  France
diyAudio Member

I have to tell you a story.
Two months ago I finished building my 6SN7 amp.
As soon as possible I started it with 2 6N8S tube I had in stock (out of the 8 I have).

And what a nightmare ! It was so microphonic I had larsen in the speaker. I never heard that before with a tube. I started swapping the 8 tubes and found only one which was not microphonic. All of them were OTK !
Finally I ended buying a pair of 6SN7 EH Gold and my god ! Everything was gone. Only purity and clarity remained.
After that I bought a pair of Tungsol Jan 6SN7WGTA from 1947. I must admit they are great and the ones I prefer but astonishingly the EH Gold are very close to them and the ones I am listening to every day (I keep the TungSol for special occasions )

No more 6N8S for me ! I would not even give them to one of my friends.
Old 14th March 2006, 07:32 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ryssen
I know this is not the thread topic ut could you list some god brands of the 6SL7 as well?
Again, Sovtek: I'm using these as a LTP with solid state CCS for a phase splitter. The Sovtek 6SL7s are also not microphonic, as sharp raps don't cause any disturbances while o'scoping. Even though I used GE characteristic curves, the design Av= 26.5 and the measured Av= 25. Pretty darn close. So these really are 6SL7s. As for the sonics, I don't believe that you could do any better with those $PRICEY versions that sell for as much as some complete amps.
Old 14th March 2006, 10:01 PM   #13
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Usual suspects would apply here too:
Very old GE 6SL7GT with the round plates, Sylvania, Tungsol, Kenrad, all have good versions.

I have lots of Sylvania 6188 which is the industrial equivalent, but to my ear sounds rather strident. Odd as it has cylindrical black plate and is very quiet and non microphonic, should by all rights be a good sounding tube, but IMHO it's not.

The Russian 6SL7 (6N9S?) particularly the 1970's vintage sound very good, I believe Reflektor may have been the factory that made these.

I believe the OTK mark on the envelope indicates that the tube is quality tested to the level indicated by the particular mark, it is not a brand specific mark.
Old 26th July 2008, 12:04 AM   #14
Gonzalo is offline Gonzalo  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Some experiences also qith 6SN7 family

Recently purchased a few types of 6SN7's to roll and try etc.
here's my findings to reports, of course my amp uses 2 12AX7 as inputs, 4 x 6SN&'s for phase spliters and soemthing else I can't tel i imagine preamp part and then the final is a quad of KT-88 or 6550's type dual mono design.

Tried initially CHinese Shuguang 6SN7's thoug tehy're not horrible easily bettered by the Reissue Tung Sols Reflektor made.
then tried Sets of NOS Ken Rads black plates adn everything took a different diemnsion but a litle too mch bass, alsot tried Sylvania's 1950's green labels and red labels Motorla (SYlvania OEM) though they're very good don't have quite teh detail of the KenRads adn only bettered by the RCA's in fact I have now in tehre 1 pair of RCA's gray glass 1940's and 1 pair RCA's clear glass short bottle very very transparenta nd extremelywell balanced.
I am yet to try the RCA red bases 5692 but I can't afford them.
Also I tried some NOS 6G8C russian army circa 1959 and they have a fantastic sound in my system just a very (and I'm nitpicking here) but very slight glare in the mids that maight even sound awesome in some recording or material, if your room is slighly damped yo might not even notce this tiny glare, my room is very live so every little harshness or top end glare or mids glare is amplfied by room interactions and tthrown back in your face, russian tubes old style are absolutely awesome and very cheap paid $ 25 for a quad well matched.

If I didn't have the RCA's or the Ken Rads these will be my choice even over the Sylvanias.
Just replaced power tubes KT88, for some NOS Tung Sols I fond online and to tell you guys the RCs make even more magic and perfect synergy with teh old 6550's they're just unbelievable a killer combiantion indeed.

hope this helps;

Gonzalo
Old 22nd March 2010, 04:51 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to UssrTradeCom Send a message via AIM to UssrTradeCom Send a message via MSN to UssrTradeCom Send a message via Yahoo to UssrTradeCom Send a message via Skype™ to UssrTradeCom
my 2 cents:

I'm selling Russian tubes. And if you are looking for really good equivalents of 6SN7, ECC32, 6CC10 tubes. I'm strongly recommend looking for 6N8S in METAL Base only. Because they were made for military of Russia and have the best quality. But a little quantity of them you can find in the market.

Oh, and one more things. They're must be with holes. (5 holes on each side)
Old 22nd March 2010, 06:11 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

<<I believe the OTK mark on the envelope indicates that the tube is quality tested to the level indicated by the particular mark, it is not a brand specific mark.>>

In the soviet system OTK# in a circle means this (any) product has passed the qulity control by the quality inspector, who has that stamp (number assigned to the inspector).
This is the lowest (normal) quality level in the soviet system.

Hide this!Advertise here!