• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6c33c Tube preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,
I know this is a real waste of power tubes, but I feel the itch to build the 6c33c tube pre amp I have attached to this post.

Apart from the crazy use/waste of this tube, what do you guys think its performance might be compared to other tube preamps?
As much as I want to build this I dont want to build something that wont sound good.

How do I calculate output impedance and power output?

Also has anyone tried the Tube Zen amp, I have never read any discussion about it?

Thanks
Lawrence

Attachments

• 6c33cb-line_amp 2.jpg
    6c33cb-line_amp 2.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 1,025
The SRPP is totally unneccessary if you're only swinging a couple of volts. The rp is so low for this tube that you don't gain any real advantage in output impedance, either.

Just for fun, I breadboarded a phono input with a 6528 a couple months ago. Microphonic as hell. And not terribly quiet, so the old 2.5/gm rule is not exactly universal. OTOH, at ETF05, I saw someone who used high gm sweep tubes as phono preamps and the preamp was reasonably quiet, so there could be something to the idea of using grossly oversized tubes...

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

With a powertube like that count an hour for the thing to settle, deal with cracks, clicks, pops and microphony as well...

The schematic is an SRPP using a dual triode iso of a twin where mu is virtually non-existant and not a design priority either.
On top of that the SRPP cuts mu in half, what is this thing designed for I wonder?

It sports a 22 microFarad bipolar cap on the output as well, great....

Could it be a headphone amp perhaps?

Cheers, ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.