• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Hum 300b Again

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

This has been discussed here over and over again,but still again.
On DHT amp fully AC heated 300b.

If i dont have mains hum what ican get rid with humpot ,and i dont have groundloop ;so how can i still hear about
100hz hum ?
Hum level vary depending what type of input tube Im using. Amp is simple Reichart 6sn7/300b -2,5k /370 vdc - 1kohm/100uf amp.
Ihave tried Dc heating ,no hum but soundstage and naturallness
vanished? No good!

In one article (what i can not find anymore) was suggested on Simple
autobias, humpot ; Ac heaters grounded directly from both sides of heater pins with small 0,1uf? capto ground. I haven seen this kind of
of any schematics. Does this Help I doint know.
My speakers are 92w/db so I should live with AC heating on this level of sensitivity?.

Papparazzi

I know what you're saying. Bypassing the cathode resistor completely, removes the local feedback and often doesn't sound as good. This is the same as using DC to provide fixed bias. But this is not the same as using DC for the filament.

BTW Fully bypassing the cathode resistor is a good way to ensure low noise in a DHT so maybe you should do it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.