• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

SET Suggestions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
rcavictim said:

Well you speak a different language than the one of electronics, so that fact has not helped me understand what you are saying.
TX means transmit or transmitter, RX means receive or receiver. Always has during my 51 years. R is not the symbol for ohms. Omega is.

What the heck is a "trafo"? Is that the bottom half of a fizbin?

Yeah, it can get a bit aggravating, but this is "teh intarweb" and it's difficult putting up an "Omega" since that is font dependent. There are lots of folks out there whose browsers don't include the Greek alphabet, and will cause it to be rendered as something else. So putting up something like "50R" is OK. Doing something like: "4K7" also works because sometimes: 4.700 can mean "4700" or 4 and 7/10ths, depending on location. Same deal as: 4,700. "4K7" is unambiguous.

"Trafo" is nasty slang. Yuck! I use "xfmr" instead.

arnoldc said:
how about "tranny" :D rhymes with "granny" :D

That one is awful IMO since it has already found standardized use to describe the lump of gears attached to a car or truck engine. It is also longer than xfmr by several letters, so besides meaning something other than a transformer to most folks, it is a letter wasteful acronym compared to xfmr.

It just doesn't work universally either. It is useless describing a component in a machine that contains both a transmission and a transformer. If you were told that a particular washing machine needed a new 'tranny'. Woulld you go looking for a replacement xfmer?

Xfmr cannot be misunderstood. I use it.

Geek said:
Regarding the resistors, I grew up reading a lot of British/Aussie/European schematics, which used 4R7, 4K7, etc. often. Because of that, I tend to read/use them interchangeably.

Didn't know that was "slang" :shrug:

I don't think that is slang. It is a system that was developed to reduce the possibility of data transmission/reproduction errors if a decimal point became lost or obliterated.

It is not slang anymore. Read the requirements for submitting an article for publication in any electronics magazine that has international readership.

See http://www.audioxpress.com/guide.htm , read item number 5.

On many wordprocessing systems a capital "W" will be substituted for the omega symbol. This will happen on older versions of Microsoft Word. I have seen it happen on this forum. Talk about confusing.

tubelab.com said:

On many wordprocessing systems a capital "W" will be substituted for the omega symbol. This will happen on older versions of Microsoft Word. I have seen it happen on this forum. Talk about confusing.

Well honest to St. Christopher, how much trouble is it to type three simple letters "ohm"? Talk about your inherent new age laziness already! It is not like it is a long word. Jeepers guys!

You 'R' guys will get no slack or sympathy from me. I'll back down the day I pick up a commercially made ohmmeter and it reads in R's instead of ohms.

It's ok to use 'u' for micro, so I don't really see the problem with 'R' instead of omega, so long as it doesn't cause any mistakes to be made, which as far as I know it doesn't... the word ohms great too, absolutely no confusion could be caused by using the word, but sometimes there just isn't enough space on crowded schematics and I do suffer from chronic lazyness yes!! The world's full of shorthand, I don't see why ohms are such a special case. Anyway, this has nowt to do with SET's and I've found the relavent responses interesting so far!

Steve

I generally type the word ohms, in text. I will usually use it on my schematics too, because they are not very dense. But if you can figure out how to put the Omega symbol into a Visio schematic, it will turn into a W when you save it as a Word 97 document. The answer is of course to upgrade to a newer version of Word, but at the prices Billy charges for his software, I would rather buy tubes, or transformers, or something that I would actually use.

I referenced the magazine requirements, because it is becomming a convention. Those of us that are old enough to remember probably had a hard time switching from kilocycyles to kilohertz, it took me about 10 years. How long has it been since you saw mmFD on a small capacitor.

Getting the Ohm symbol to show

Pardon the off-topic post!

There are two ways which might work for Ohms on this forum. I'll post and people can see if it works in their browsers:

100W uses a capital W and the forum's font tags for symbol font.

100Ω uses "ampersand-poundsign-937-semicolon" which is the WWW standard for capital omega.

Re: Getting the Ohm symbol to show

Jeff Yourison said:
Pardon the off-topic post!

There are two ways which might work for Ohms on this forum. I'll post and people can see if it works in their browsers:

100W uses a capital W and the forum's font tags for symbol font.

100© uses "ampersand-poundsign-937-semicolon" which is the WWW standard for capital omega.

I thought ampersand was what fulgurites were made out of. :xeye:

That's helpful there Jeff, but remember, these clowns are seriously lazy and that is even harder to implement than three simple letters "ohm".

Cheers Jeff, handy to know, but I think this clown is just too damn lazy to use that in general discussion I'm afraid.

Incidentally, where RCAvictim quoted Jeff:
100© uses "ampersand-poundsign-937-semicolon" which is the WWW standard for capital omega.
The omega comes up as a copyright symbol in my browser.....how weird is that?! This would mean what...capacitance? Looks like the 'W' method is the only bulletproof way then on this forum.

Steve

Well, IE is fine, but Mozilla Firefox doesn't support vbscript for this BB's font tags. Trying decimal and letter character codes:

Ω -- this is ampersand-#-937-;
Ω -- this is ampersand-Omega (capital O)-;

μ -- here's ampersand-#-956-;
μ -- here's ampersand-"mu"-;

I'm not a perfectionist; I'm just avoiding my other work at the moment. :(

Anyway......back to me and __MY__ topic ;)

I'm starting to re-think needing 5w per ch. (w: watts, per ch: per channel [for the pedants :0]).

Speakers are 104 db (although I've seen the post's about taking 3db off of klipsch ratings: crossovers and all that).

I'm getting the La Scala's this wknd (weekend) so I can try them on my PP amp which is about 6w per ch utra linear and 4w triode strapped. Then I can tell if I can be happy with about 2w per ch and try something like this for starters:

http://www.boozhoundlabs.com/6v6hifi

I think I can get about 250v B+ from my power xfrmr (transformer [alright I know, it's getting old!]), with a choke input. Might use different drivers tho'

I want go with the best tubes, OPT's, cap everything (just about build the best damn SET possible) in the future, but I'be blown all my disposable $$$ on the La Scalas; I just want to get my SET fix __NOW__!

What are the significant difference between the $17 and $70+ edcor opt's?

see ya'll

nogoodboyo said:
Anyway......back to me and __MY__ topic ;)

I just want to get my SET fix __NOW__!

What are the significant difference between the $17 and $70+ edcor opt's?

see ya'll

Because of the ca$h shortage caused by purchase of excellent speakers (the right choice IMO, speakers are the most important part of the system ) the difference is $53 times two xfmrs = $106.00.

For now why not search garage sales and thrift shops and find a old Magnavox tube console stereo radio/record player. I found one with a small chassis containing a 12AX7 (1/2 used as pre and driver stage for each channel). Two 6BQ5's, one each SE per channel, and a 5U4 rectifier. Big output iron compared to other low power console tube amps. This amps sounds impressive for what it is, although the tetrode edge is a bit rough on sensitive speakers. Rewired as a triode output it will give you a watt or two. You should be able to buy one of these consoles for the cost of one $17 Edcor transformer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.