• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

understanding transformer codes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm finally gonna cut up an old Sparton Radio of Canada model 12M6, volt amp 165. The tag indicates some RCA copyrights or licencing.

Trying to modify it into something like a Super Triode Connection type..

4 6bm8 tubes (push pull) stereo, 1 5AR4 rectifier tube (I'll use a 5AS4A instead because I have it). Trying to find information on the three transformers. only markings are as follows:

2 (output transformers) 21AR89-1, EEH2

rectifier: 21BR102, EE12

I assumed Hammond numbers but not. Any ideas? I am assuming 7-10 watts per channel in PP, is 1/2 of that going to occur in STC connection?

as always, any and all help appreciated. I did do a search and didn't find much regarding the 6BM8 or ECC82 as power tubes.

Nanook

You'll probably have to work it out for yourself.

Try this - Pull your OPT, apply a sinusoidal signal across the primary winding. Measure the amplitude at the secondary. Divide the Applied signal level by the measured secondary level. Square it. Multiply that by the impedance of your speakers.

This gives you the load seen by the output stage. Find a secondary winding that matches your design load.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.