diyAudio (
-   Tubes / Valves (
-   -   Booster Amps (

NickC 4th March 2006 10:29 AM

Booster Amps
REcently i am plagued by the need of more power
At the moment i am using a 6c33a to drive my speaker. IT not enough eventhough my speakers are 100db. Don't bother asking my hall and soundlevel seems kill most amp under 10watts of power.

At one time Altec and cinema amps employ booster amp to boost the power of the main amps. Something like a 1570a.

Now can i use a stepup trans say 1:5 or a directly into a 833a. And have the 833a separately? I presume it should be do able.
This way when i need the power just connect the 6c33 into the 833a and have way ample power. I have the 833a and the sockets aready so cost is not a problem as well as the trans and caps.
Would this be a better way or should i just go build a big *** 833a amp?

Also would tubelabs mosfet be able to be use after the stepup trans? I look possible. Just need to check on this.


DigitalJunkie 4th March 2006 11:23 AM

Burnedfingers 4th March 2006 11:37 AM

At one time Altec and cinema amps employ booster amp to boost the power of the main amps. Something like a 1570a.te:

Actually you are incorrect. The Booster amp tap is nothing more than a parallel signal arrangement to drive additional amplifiers to drive additional speakers.

I would be more than happy to find some large system schematics to back up the point.

NickC 4th March 2006 02:05 PM

Do you have any schematics for this?
I am looking for it.

I suspected it was a normal amp say a 6v6 amp, signal out from opt feed into a stepup trans and drive the grid of the bigger tube

Is this something like this?


Burnedfingers 4th March 2006 02:12 PM

It is nothing more than a way to parallel the input signal and send it to another amplifier.

anatech 4th March 2006 11:11 PM

Hi Joe,
Correct, and Bogen still does this. The input jack is wired directly to the boost output in some amps.

Consider just building a bigger amp. It will sound better than what you are thinking of.


jeff mai 6th March 2006 12:48 AM

I believe this was adapted straight from a schematic in a 1930s UTC or Stancor transformer catalog. It was called a "booster amp".

NickC 6th March 2006 01:10 AM

Thanks for the link

This was what i was looking for. A booster amp.


Zen Mod 6th March 2006 01:11 AM

booster amp in ole dayz was exactly like OP means....

one weeny little amp feeds IT to grids of one big output stage

I saw not just one schmtc with 211s and 845s in PP

Mr. dB 23rd May 2011 11:18 PM

I think the Altec booster amp was the 287F, it used a pair of 845s. I assume you had to mate it with a 1568 amp or something similar to drive it.

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:01 PM.

Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 18.75%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2017 diyAudio