• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Booster Amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
REcently i am plagued by the need of more power
At the moment i am using a 6c33a to drive my speaker. IT not enough eventhough my speakers are 100db. Don't bother asking my hall and soundlevel seems kill most amp under 10watts of power.

At one time Altec and cinema amps employ booster amp to boost the power of the main amps. Something like a 1570a.

Now can i use a stepup trans say 1:5 or a directly into a 833a. And have the 833a separately? I presume it should be do able.
This way when i need the power just connect the 6c33 into the 833a and have way ample power. I have the 833a and the sockets aready so cost is not a problem as well as the trans and caps.
Would this be a better way or should i just go build a big *** 833a amp?

Also would tubelabs mosfet be able to be use after the stepup trans? I look possible. Just need to check on this.

Regards
NIcholas

Quote:
At one time Altec and cinema amps employ booster amp to boost the power of the main amps. Something like a 1570a.te:

Actually you are incorrect. The Booster amp tap is nothing more than a parallel signal arrangement to drive additional amplifiers to drive additional speakers.

I would be more than happy to find some large system schematics to back up the point.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.