• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

New stock pre -amp tubes. Whats good?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I looking into ordering some tubes for my Aikido pre and was wondering which "new" stock type tubes being manufactured today are worth getting. I see Sovtek, EI, JJ, Electro Harmonics, Sino etc. to name a few. Has anyone have opinions on what's works for them and which ones are trash? 6SN7, 6CG7, 5687, 12BH7, 12B4 or 6DJ8 comes to mind for now.

NOS could be in the future once things get settled out but for now cheap is fine.

anatech said:
Hi RockysDad,
How's Rocky? ;)

I've used Electroharmonix and had good luck. I hear JJ are very good also. They are not expensive compared to NOS and I don't think you can go wrong with either.

-Chris

He's been a great dog all these years but has been pooping on the lawn recently. Gotta watch where you walk now...:eek:

Which tubes have you tried so far? I'm leaning towards 6CG7/6FQ7 or 6SN7 for now.

I think that is the history, yes. And it's why there's a set of operating points on the data sheet with 26.5V on the plate. Disadvantage is the very wimpy heater-cathode voltage rating (90V), which means you want to use separate tubes and heater supplies for the top tubes in order to crank the B+ voltage to where the circuit sings.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.