• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

CV2492 / 6922 / E88CC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Cv2492 / 6922 / E88cc

A colleague of mine has some NOS CV2492 double triodes, which we intend to use in a hybrid amp project. (I believe this is a near equivalent to the 6922 and E88CC).

How does the sound quality of this tube compare with the likes of the ECC83, or 6SL7 ?

Cheers,
Chris.

Chalk and cheese. The E88CC is a VERY different sort of tube used in very different circuits. Both E88CC and 6SL7 appear in the signal chain in my system, but in different places doing different things.

In any case, you've got a damn nice couple of tubes there. Pity to waste them in a hybrid amp.:devilr:

tubes

Any of those tubes are good for audio. The main issue is low noise, which varies from tube to tube and type to type; research the noise figures, or test them in a test circuit with a cap from grid to ground and no signal, and you will have your answer. Put a scope on the plate with grid at zero signal to check noise.
The 6922 is very good, but in my Audio Research LS2b preamp I found that after about 1000 hours, even the best tubes would get noisy and the sound would get grungy; time for new tubes.

The newest ones from AR use the 6H30 which is supposedly the absolute best one available, and lasts well, supposedly. Do not neglect to use the best low-noise film resistors in the signal path; they are a major issue also.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.