Aikido Crackle Hiss Noise Solved - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th February 2006, 12:59 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Aikido Crackle Hiss Noise Solved

Earlier I posted this......

"....I had a crackle and hissing sound {sic in my Aikido preamp} from more than one set of 6N1P's, I rewired the heaters for 12AU7's in the first position and no more crackles

All is well, now..."

WELL< The crackles came back and even though I had searched the signal path with my oscilloscope, I could not identify the crackles as signal noise.

Upon very closer inspection I found the voltage divider I had added to bias the filament up to 60 volts DC had a bad solder joint and was intermittentantly making contact due to vibrations, heat and especially, me, pounding on the preamp out of frustration.

I found the faulty joint while using a voltmeter with the preamp powered up and in the fault mode (thank the tube gods because I had done this several times out of the fault mode) and found there was no elevation of the filament voltage, resoldered the joint and now,

ALL IS WELL.

But I do have 12AU7's in the input position now and leave well enough alone for now. Nothing wrong with the 6N1P's after all.

Live and learn, a very happy

dr._sleep

as we say in medicine "The enemy of good is better"
Old 25th February 2006, 01:12 AM   #2
diyAudio Moderator

Hi,

This is good info for Aikido builders like me. Now I know where/what to look for in case my upcoming Aikido develops any crackling sound.

Thanks Doc!

Hide this!Advertise here!