• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Current Sourced Cathode Follower

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I built the following in two sections to use as a buffer for the line outs of less expensive CD/DVD/SACD players. Seems to add to the weight of the sound, softens the high end hash and images nicely going through an Aikido preamp and two EL84 based monoblocks.

Currentsourcedcathodefollower.jpg

Any comments or critics.

dr._sleep

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
How are you biasing the CF? For best linearity and dynamic range the voltage at the midpoint between the plate of the source and the cathode of the CF should be right around 1/2Vs or 90V..

I would use a high mu triode in both positions and bias the source close to ground using a cathode resistor of just a couple of K ohms, and a fixed voltage source of a few volts.. An ECC83 with a 2.2K cathode resistor biased for 1 - 2mA standing current would give you an rp of > 250K ohms which for this application is more than enough.

IMHO I would run this circuit off of a higher supply voltage with typical high mu triodes, something on the order of 300V seems warranted.

Kevin

Oops. my bad. The cathode resistor is 5.6K NOT 22K.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The 13.22 volts must also be in error. I'll re-measure when I get home.

The valves in use are 12AU7's, very nice Bugle Boys. I wanted to put this together using a 5X7x2 project box with the power tranny under the chassis, so the secondary is 120V. I am able to get 190 V on the plates after a bridge rectifier, CLC filter (33uF, 9H choke, 33uF).

Actually, it sounds good. I have a Decware 685 player with the tube output stage and with the buffer attached to the stock outputs it rivals the smoothness and punch of the modded outs.

Thanks for you inputs, I'll recheck that voltage and post later.

dr._sleep

Here is the finished product, 12AU7 based current sourced cathode follower. I have dropped the cathode resistors to 4.6K and the grid is at +4.9 volts.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The insides

Scope shot with an input square wave .5 volts @1000 Hz, the lower field is the input side the upper the output.

Final Schematic

Very pleased with the sonic results also.

dr._sleep

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.