• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

noob pre/pwer amp recording ?s

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all. I am a drummer and beginner guitarist/songwriter seeking potential abuse of vintage tube gear for sound exploration. Todays "tube-sounding" gear is dreadful. I have my eye (on epay) on some affordable old tube pre/power amps. I want a direct-to-"tape" recording solution. I am in no way tech minded, but I am good at following directions. Are there any impedance issues to look for when/if I buy? Any hazards I should know about? I know to power up with a variac, and to let a tech go over any eqip before I get my sweaty hands on it. Since I seek distortion in all its many colors, clean pure sound is not a factor. Any possible combos to look for? I might not even need a power amp, since I plan to record direct to hard disk anyway. Remember, Im not just a tube noob, Im also a drummer! Any help is much appreciated.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.