Musical Fidelity X10-D - changing tubes problem - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st October 2006, 07:04 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

I don't think a ECC85 will be a drop in replacement. The ECC88 is what you want.
The tubes can be replaced with only the front panel off, though it is tight and fidley.
Don't think of a tube upgrade as the first upgrade option. You will get much better results by replacing the power supply with something more beefy. A 50VA toroidal would give good results. There is a web site somewhere which describes what to do.

Shoog
Old 22nd October 2006, 09:40 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Shoog
I don't think a ECC85 will be a drop in replacement. The ECC88 is what you want.
The tubes can be replaced with only the front panel off, though it is tight and fidley.
Don't think of a tube upgrade as the first upgrade option. You will get much better results by replacing the power supply with something more beefy. A 50VA toroidal would give good results. There is a web site somewhere which describes what to do.

Shoog

Thanks for your reply Shoog - the only reason I was thinking ECC85 was that I have read on the internet of a number of people using them successfully with the x10d. By the way can you cast any light on whether I need a "matched" pair of valves?

So am I right in thinking from your reply that you don't need to remove the back panel of the x10d - only the front? Then presumably you pull the circuit board out of the front of the x10d?

Is the power supply you refer to this one (I might have a go at this if I can get the parts):-

http://www.rock-grotto.co.uk/easyxpsu.htm
Old 22nd October 2006, 04:55 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I personally wouldn't waist my money on a matched pair. ECC88's are fairly consistent. Matching only really becomes an issue in push pull output stages. Anyway the match will slip in a relatively short time. Really its a way of fleecing money out of HIFI freaks.

When I tried some tube rolling with my X10D I think I only needed to remove the front panel (or was it the back), to be honest its no biggey to take off the panel and see. Come to think of it, it must be the back panel, because the power socket at least is mounted onto the circuit board. Its well worth extending the LED leads to make adjustment easier in future.
I have to warn you that I was less than happy with the result of trying some NOS Mullard ECC88's, very syrupy. I went back to the stock ones in the end. This circuit uses the valves on the edge of their voltage range and I have a gut feeling that the circuit is tuned to get the best out of the stock Valves, and everything else is likely to spoil that tuning.

Quote:
Is the power supply you refer to this one (I might have a go at this if I can get the parts):-

Thats exactly the site I was refering to. Pound for pound thats the biggest improvement you will get from the X10D, parts are easy to get from Maplin or Farnell.

Shoog
Old 23rd October 2006, 01:04 AM   #14
diyAudio Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by theadmans

Thanks for your reply Shoog - the only reason I was thinking ECC85 was that I have read on the internet of a number of people using them successfully with the x10d. By the way can you cast any light on whether I need a "matched" pair of valves?

So am I right in thinking from your reply that you don't need to remove the back panel of the x10d - only the front? Then presumably you pull the circuit board out of the front of the x10d?

Hi,

Actually the ECC85 should "work" in this particular instance but somehow I suspect that people prefer it just because it goes a tad louder not necessarily better....

NOS European 6922 does sound a bit bass shy and anemic compared to the Sovtek 6922 this is because the cathodes of the European professional miniature valves are treated to make them more reliable. At least some NOS E88CCs are, depending on vintage. Unless you can decipher the acid etched manufacturing codes there's no sure way to tell.

ECC85 OTOH were common as mud in the old portable radio days and are quite sweet sounding. Too sweet and forgiving to my taste more often than not.....

Note also that the ECC88 family sports an internal shield which is to grounded if both channels share a common envelope for best channel separation. Not saying this is the case with this particular design though.

Hope this helps,
Old 23rd October 2006, 09:06 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
NOS European 6922 does sound a bit bass shy and anemic compared to the Sovtek 6922 this is because the cathodes of the European professional miniature valves are treated to make them more reliable.
This would seem to support my findings with the Mullards.

Shoog
Old 30th March 2013, 05:35 AM   #16
Gost22 is offline Gost22  Bolivia
Banned

Question tube buffer x10-D with 6n23p-EV

Hi all!
If you replace this 6DJ8 in bafferu with Russian tube 6n23p-EV ate some changes are needed in the schemayics?
Here is the seed buffer X10-D
Thanks for your help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg X10D-GC-MainSch-Lres.jpg (70.2 KB, 67 views)

Last edited by Gost22; 30th March 2013 at 05:51 AM.
Old 30th March 2013, 08:34 PM   #17
cobra is offline cobra  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Russian tube 6n23p-EV

no change req.. just plug and play
Old 30th March 2013, 10:14 PM   #18
Gost22 is offline Gost22  Bolivia
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra View Post
no change req.. just plug and play
The sound it gives the tube 6n23p, if you have experience?
thank you!

Hide this!Advertise here!