• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Help with tube amplification?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,

I am newly converted tube lover, and I am in process of getting rid of my existing speakers and SS amplification.
I believe I have made decision on speakers, PMC FB1+, what remains to be found out is tube amplifier, preferably integrated one.
What I liked so far (immensely) was Korato Ikarus (2XcEI Nis KT90 per channel, rated at 2X50W), and to a degree Raysonic SP-120 and Shanling STP-80.
Considering my sound preference, what else should I audition?
My dilemma is if I can find an amplifier that will be of sonic characteristics of Korato Ikarus but for less $ (Korato Ikarus goes for 4K Canadian listed in Toronto, can be obtained for 3100 Canadian), or something better for the same $.
One concern I have with Korato Ikarus is quality of workmanship and issues with quality of EI Nis KT-90 (apparently there is a high rate of failure?). Are these concerns valid?
I am yet to hear Prima Luna Prologue II (pair of KT-88 in output per channel, 2X40W) and Cary Audio SLI-80 (pair of 6550 in output per channel, 2X80W).
Any thoughts on these?
And does anyone know if these can use EI Nis KT-90?

anatech said:
Hey Rob,
Nice shot of your stereo SET flea power amp!

-Chris

Thanx Chris! It is a shame the avatar allotment here isn't 150x150 pixels rather than just 75 x 75. Hard to show anything well enough to tell what it is!

FY('all)I, this is a just recently conceived and quickly exectuted, all DC heat, all DHT, 1619 triode in, interstage xfmer driven class A2 809 triode out ultrapath and parafeed SET stereo amplifier. Output is 3 glorious watts per channel. To borrow a trademark. "I'm lovin' it!"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.