• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

12SX7

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
12sx7

Is really the 12SX7 tube a 6SN7 [12SN7] ? :cool:

Attachments

• 12sx7.jpg
    12sx7.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 1,093
The picture of your 12SX7 doesn't look like the ones I have. Mine have a large RCA logo on the tube and the box is a traditional RCA red,white, and black box of the fifties. There is no typewritten JAN or tube name on the box.
I know that I've tried a large number of Octal tubes in my Mu-Follower preamp. It originally ran with 6SN7s- the best of which was the WWII era Mil-spec Sylvania with the anchor symbol on the silver base. Sylvanias in general worked better than most other brands. They sounded cleaner with less distortion and muddy bass. The worst was a NOS RCA 6SN7 which had very muddy bass and midrange-like a poor 12AU7.
The 12SX7 easily sounded as good as the Mil-Spec Sylvania. It sounded cleaner and had less distortion than any other Octal tube I've run in my preamp. This may be because I'm running about 250V B+ in a totem pole design. I understand that the 12SX7 runs best with about a 90V plate voltage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.