Removing tone controls - Need a little help - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th February 2006, 04:20 PM   #1
wboyd is offline wboyd  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Removing tone controls - Need a little help

After doing a little tune-up on my recently aquired Akai M-7 tube amps (from the Akai reel to reel deck) I am pretty happy with the sound. I love the EL34 tube sound - smooth, seems to have plenty of bass (more than enough), good soundstage, etc.

I have been thinking about removing the tone controls, but have no idea how to go about it. Can I just remove them all together, or do I need to replace the pot with some type of 'bypass' curcuit, or do I need to add some type of jumper?

I have seen a few articles on removing tone controls from the PAS 2/3x, but nothing really generic...

BTW, the tone controls on all amps (I have 6 monoblocks), are fairly 'scrathy' anyway, and I really don't feel like they are needed in the first place....atleast for my application.

Thanks,

Wayne Boyd
Old 15th February 2006, 05:17 PM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Tone controls are generally configured as feedback networks. If you remove them, you'll need to replace them with flat feedback to keep the gain reasonable and distortion low.

In some cases, a tone control stage can be bypassed completely. You'll need to study the schematic, determine the gain structure, then figure out if that stage can be clipped out.
Old 16th February 2006, 07:28 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

If it's any help....the tone control pot is 30K.
Old 16th February 2006, 07:50 PM   #4
bob_v5 is offline bob_v5  England
diyAudio Member

if you measured the tone controll resistance when its in the position you like you could just replace it with a resistor of that value. Not the best solution but it should work.
Old 16th February 2006, 08:30 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks, excellent idea. I may try that tonight.
Old 16th February 2006, 10:13 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

you can take out the tone controls and if its a passive config replace with a volume pot or trim pot if the gain is too high
Old 17th February 2006, 02:46 PM   #7
bob_v5 is offline bob_v5  England
diyAudio Member

no problemo
Old 17th February 2006, 08:08 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

As Sy pointed out, if the tone control is in the feedback loop things can get a little sticky, BUT, if it's a passive circuit its a snap.

Look about halfway down this post and you will see the tone circuit of my Fisher 800C. I simply shunted the pins numbered 4 & 7 together, and voila', tone is bypassed, and I got around 6dB of extra gain.

Casey
Old 17th February 2006, 09:07 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Ok, here is a partial of the schematic. The tone control is noted as VR2. It seems to be part of the preamp curcuit. I have not discovered, nor can I tell if it is passive or not. If someone wanted to take a look at the whole schematic, that would be great...I did not want to upload the whole thing and take up to much space.

Thanks,

Wayne Boyd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m7_partial.jpg (65.6 KB, 126 views)
Old 18th February 2006, 02:31 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Looks like your in luck

The 50p C5 in parallel with the 100k R8 tilts the highs up, this feeds the junction of C5-C6. C5 and Vr2 is a low pass that tilts the highs down to flat when Vr2 is in its mid position, further cutting the highs as it gets lower in resistance, and "boosts" the highs as its increased...tone control.

Remove the 50p (C4) and the the .01uF (C5). This will kill the tone control, and raise the gain. If the gain is to high, put a resistor from ground to the C6-R8 junction, making a voltage divider. If it were me, I would connect C6 directly to the grid of V2a, bypassing the play/record switch..a notorious point of failure.

If Iv'e made a boo-boo in my analysis I hope one of the more learned people on this forum will correct me.

Casey

Hide this!Advertise here!