• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Vacuum Tube Pre O.C.L.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Actually, my preamp does have one coupling cap internal to it, though I eliminated the troublesome output cap. The input cap could be eliminated, too, by returning the servo output to the bottom of the transformer, but I think that's a cure worse than the disease; the input cap is pretty innocuous, but redoing the servo connection puts any servo errors and grunge right back to the input of the circuit.

One can do some level shifting to get direct coupling all the way through at the expense of complexity. I've played with it in the past and never thought is was even vaguely worthwhile.

Warning: NewB question

Sy,

What happened to the little chef? All this time I thought you were a child prodigy or something... heretical preamp with a little Frim Fram Sauce on the side. ;)

Seriously (Sy or anyone) if cost weren't an issue, which would be the better choice for a simple preamp: a really good coupling capacitor or a really good input/interstage transformer? And who makes really good input/interstage transformers?

Thanks everyone.
:confused:

I think that an input transformer brings a lot of benefits to the table. I'm much less convinced that there's a similar benefit/cost ratio for output transformers. And I hate big output coupling caps.

So far, I've tested Jensen and Cinemag 1:1 input transformers; both seemed excellent. I'm trying to get my hands on some Magnequest 1:1+1 units to give 6dB of gian in response to some requests. My guess, from testing other Magnequest products, is that they'll be first rate.

Thank you to everybody!

Sorry, maybe I didn't post the question very well.

I meant a preamplifier with NO coupling capacitor e NO coupling transformer on the line path.

So, analog_sa, you got the question: could you help me to find the schematic of the mentioned SY's preamp?

Where do I have to look for?

Thank you in advance, G.M.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Look here.

A pic of my slowly progressing version...

Attachments

• dscf0056.jpg
    dscf0056.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 394
GM, the only way you can avoid having any transformer or capacitor is to have some level shifting. For example, if you use an ECC88 cathode follower with the grid at DC ground, the output will always be riding on a volt or three of offset- under the conditions that I run my CF, the offset will be 1.7V. So you can add 1.7V worth of battery or interpose an LED between the cathode and CCS, then pick the signal off the junction of the two.

In either case, the cure is much worse than the disease.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
One solution is to use a Russian 6XS7 double triode, as its unique cathode emissive material based on unobtainium allows complementary operation from inverted supplies. There is a problem in that the cathode is somewhat radioactive (Pu) and there would be a toxicity issue should the fragilium quartz envelope be compromised, but the minor hazard was considered acceptable by the designers. Besides, the problem is not appreciably worse than some of the Western Electric gas voltage references (cf 313C). Because of the complementary operation, the valve must be biased to stimulate electron emission and the lowest noise option is to do this is optically, using a GaAl laser with a wavelength of 465nm pointing directly into the cathode singularity. Obviously, optically stimulated emission requires that the valve (and laser) is enclosed in a light-proof box, and given the minor radioactivity noted earlier, it is advisable to make the box out of pure lead (999 purity minimum). The original application for the 6XS7 was in reactor control systems (cf Chernobyl).

Thank you very much pinkmouse, all!

I'm going to read very deeply the thread, but I recnognize there a "unity gain stage" so far.

Instead I would like to implement a gain stage (a peamplifier with gain from 6 to 10 approx), with a low output impedance.

Any other advice?

Thank you!

EC8010 said:
One solution is to use a Russian 6XS7 double triode, as its unique cathode emissive material based on unobtainium allows complementary operation from inverted supplies. There is a problem in that the cathode is somewhat radioactive (Pu) and there would be a toxicity issue should the fragilium quartz envelope be compromised, but the minor hazard was considered acceptable by the designers. Besides, the problem is not appreciably worse than some of the Western Electric gas voltage references (cf 313C). Because of the complementary operation, the valve must be biased to stimulate electron emission and the lowest noise option is to do this is optically, using a GaAl laser with a wavelength of 465nm pointing directly into the cathode singularity. Obviously, optically stimulated emission requires that the valve (and laser) is enclosed in a light-proof box, and given the minor radioactivity noted earlier, it is advisable to make the box out of pure lead (999 purity minimum). The original application for the 6XS7 was in reactor control systems (cf Chernobyl).

:D :D :D :D

The only practical way of doing this using tubes is to copy ideas of DC coupled instrumentation amplifiers. The problems you will encounter is DC restoring and DC drift, DC restoring can be taken care of by using Zenerdiodes and drift must be taken care of by using heavy DC feedback.

I am using a preamp using DC coupled gain stage that I originally designed about 30 years ago. It consist of 2 stages, one for RIAA correction and one for use as a line amp, I think my latest version works very well and it is quite stable. The principal schematic for each gain stage can be seen here http://www.tubetvr.com/dcpreamp.html

Regards Hans

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.