• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Why no single triode OTL power stages?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is it correct the output impedance=6 Ohms

Yes it should be something like that but it will not give much power, max current is specified to 52mA for each tube or 208mA for 4 tubes in parallell, this only gives a output power of ~0.17W.

Much better to use feedback or even better to use a SEPP stage ala inverted Futterman, preferably with 6C33C.

There are better tubes "available" like the 6528 mentioned here but it seems to be made of unobtanium therefore discussing these rare beasts is more of an academic excercise.

Regards Hans

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
I don't want to water anyone's firework, but my understanding is that OTLs become more practical the bigger they are. You end up having lots of valves in parallel to handle the power and by doing so, you get a reduced output resistance even before feedback. However, I keep on wondering about a low power OTL using 6C45 in Class A2 with perhaps only 60V across them and driven by something beefy, another 6C45, or (dare I say it?) a source follower.

However, I keep on wondering about a low power OTL using 6C45 in Class A2 with perhaps only 60V across them and driven by something beefy, another 6C45, or (dare I say it?) a source follower.

It would work but it doesn't give higher output power as the allowed max anode current is only 52mA per tube. You can probably exceed this by up to a factor 2 if you can live with the shorter life but it would still only give very low output power as a CF.

The problem is not to get the tube to draw high current as such but to have reasonable reliability.

Regards Hans

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.