• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Relpacing 6EU7s with 12AX7s - Good idea?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Alright, my Bogen PA head that I'm going to be getting pretty soon to use as a guitar amp uses 6EU7 preamp tubes. I know there's really nothing wrong with them, but there are very few brands/varieties available to play with. From what I've read, these are very similar to the 12AX7. I was just curious if a 12AX7 is a straight drop-in into a 6EU7 socket. I figured I should ask before I try it, I don't want to be celebrating the 4th of july in the garage :). Thanks.

-Darren

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Darren,
The 6EU7 has a completely different pinout than the 12AX7. I'd keep them in there. They sound great. This is kind of a secret great sounding tube. They were designed originally as very low noise, low microphonic, low hum tube. The curves look close to a 12AX7 on a quick glance.

You can buy new 6EU7's from New Sensor for one. I'm sure there are other sources.

-Chris

I see NOS GE 6EU7s go pretty cheap on ebay all the time.

Really? They were hard to find a couple years ago,when I was looking for some for a couple SE EL84 amps I have.They were kinda spendy too. (Especialy for used/tested tubes -NOS was outta my price range,at the time!) I should have rewired the amp sockets for 12AX7's,but I was stubborn,and wanted to "keep it original"

As far as I know,the 6EU7 and 12AX7 are basically the same/very similar tube,but with a different pinout.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Darren,
You may find the GE's noisy (like some 12AX7's I ran across). But if they're cheap give them a shot.

These were supposed to be a really low noise type tube. That's why you see them in the mic inputs instead of 12AX7's. The specs look the same as 12AX7's otherwise (by 12AX7, I am referring to 12AX7A/7025).

DigitalJunkie,
They were kinda spendy too. (Especialy for used/tested tubes -NOS was outta my price range,at the time!)
Yes, that's what I've seen over the years. These were much more pricey than others similar tubes. Like 7199's were / are.

-Chris

AFAIK, the 6EU7 is supposed to be even more resistant to hum than the 7025 is. I've seen Heath schematics with AC on the phono stage heaters. Frankly, I have my DOUBTS.

JMO, rewire the sockets for 'X7s and use Sovtek 12AXLPSes. The 'LPS has a hum bucking spiral heater, is good sounding, and it's quiet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.