Russian 6L6 family sketchy? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th February 2006, 07:34 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Russian 6L6 family sketchy?

Background: I am looking to buy output tubes for an upcoming SET project. OPT's are 7.6K impedance, and B+ possibly 475V (if you this is a bad operating point feel free to interject). I am thinking Russian KT66 would be a good choice.

So I am a bit warier of the cheap Russian tubes now that I ordered some Sovtek 6SN7 and they came with the old labelling of 6H8C right on them as well as the new 6SN7 labelling. Wish I'd known that beforehand.

And so I was looking through the 6L6 family to see what was cheap on eBay, and 6P3S-E, the bigger version of the 6P3S, and I've read is often relabelled 5881, looked good. However the only datasheet for the -E version I could find listed the max anode voltage as 250V, hardly a good situation if you sub it into a 5881 amp with a higher B+.

So my question is twofold: in shopping for a Russian 6L6 family tube are there some particularly bad eggs to avoid, and are the Russian KT66's some other tube just relabelled that I could buy cheaper as a Russian equivalent?
Old 9th February 2006, 07:39 PM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Are you dead-set on Russian? There are good, inexpensive US alternatives available.
Old 9th February 2006, 07:42 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SY
Are you dead-set on Russian? There are good, inexpensive US alternatives available.
No, I didn't know that there were. Do tell
Old 9th February 2006, 07:52 PM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

Check out the "super" 6BG6 at SND Tube sales. They're like $7 each and are apparently rebased 7027A. I've used them in a couple of amps here and keep ordering more.
Old 9th February 2006, 10:57 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Leadbelly,

Yes, I found the Russians can be pretty free with their designations. I have listed the 6L6 variations elsewhere, I think on the "Quad" thread but cannot find it now. Summarising, there was a 6L6GB at 19W, the 5881 at 23W and the (preferred) 6L6GC at 30W plate dissipation. The Russians sometimes call everything 6L6GC. They also market a KT66 with actual 6L6 innards, but that is not such a problem as they are very close. (But do beware of Chinese "equivalents"! A no-go.)

SY,

That is good news for me - as a moderator you would have noticed my quieries from time to time about NOS 6L6GCs, which have become quite expensive. Not to doubt your word, but the only 6BG6(GA) that I find in my RCA Manual is a discontinued type with the anode going to a top cap and different base connections to 7027. Are you saying that this super 6BG6 is exactly like a 7027, or with the 6BG6 base connections and cap? You did say "rebased". Does the innards look like a 6L6? I am in the market for 10 or so, which in our economy is quite a bit of money; I cannot afford a mistake.

Regards and thanks.
Old 9th February 2006, 11:05 PM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

Both visually and in how they run in my amp, these appear to be rebased 7027A, i.e., 7027 guts with a top cap and 6BG6 pinout. The original 6BG6 spec is 20W plate dissipation- I run the "super" 6BG6 near 30 without any signs of redness. Power output is identical to EL37s that previously graced this amp (a rebuilt Eico HF87).

If I were better at photography and had a decent camera, I'd show you the tube side by side with an authentic 7027A. But since I'm not and I don't, I can only say that after buying the first 4 and trying them out, I immediately ordered 24 more.

http://www.vacuumtubes.com/6BG6.html

Disclaimer: no financial involvement there except as a very satisfied customer
Old 9th February 2006, 11:57 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SY
But since I'm not and I don't, I can only say that after buying the first 4 and trying them out, I immediately ordered 24 more.
I must admit these do sound great. How is the sample variation? Should I be buying the matched sets?
Old 10th February 2006, 12:01 AM   #8
diyAudio Moderator

At this price, I bought a pile of unmatched and made matched quads out of them (matched at idle current only- I didn't further do a transconductance match). The variation was unexceptional, i.e., not trivial but not extraordinary.

But SND doesn't charge a lot for the matching, so if you don't anticipate blowing through a lot of them, pay the couple bucks extra. They're still dirt cheap.
Old 10th February 2006, 06:38 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

There are real new production KT66.

http://www.thetubestore.com/6l65881types.html

Scroll down and the last one is exactly what you do not want (A 6L6 relabelled as a KT66). There was also someone selling Chinese coke bottle 6L6 as KT66 a couple months ago.

The Saratov KT66 and Shuguang KT66 are real KT66. I got a quad of the Saratov version on ebay 1 year ago for about 40$. I can't compare them to the real GEC KT66 (too expensive), but I like mine.

I think I read that the Groove Tube version is the Saratov one.

They are available at many places, but just be sure to get a real KT66 (the internal construction is unmistakable).
Old 22nd March 2006, 02:00 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default OK, SY, they're here!

The 6BG6's have arrived. They look so cool I am excited!

Well SY, you seem to be the expert on these, what kind of drive do they like (both SE and PP, I bought enough for both)? Will a simple grounded stage do or is something beefier required? I've got tubes like 6922, 6N1P, 6H8C, 6EJ7, 6N6P saved up, as well as some of the Group Buy Aikido boards.

Hide this!Advertise here!