• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

tube is flashing and glowing very bright!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello friends,

I've got a Cayin A-50T integrated amplifier, and I'm experiencing some very scary problems.

Out of nowhere, one of the EL34 tubes starts to flicker and glow a lot more than the others. My right speakers starts to make popping sounds too, this is when I switch everything off. It's happened 3 times over the past year or so.

I'm sure that its not the tube, because the first time it happened I changed all four EL34s and it's still occuring in that same tube position. The other three tubes have never had this happen, only happens in that one tube socket.

Any clue what is going on? I really wanna fix this because I don't want to ruin my speakers or the tubes.

Thanks everyone :)

Does the grey metal structure (plate/anode) glow bright red? Or is it more of a sparking in the tube?

If it is glowing red, then you have either a bad coupling capacitor or no bias voltage.

If it's sparking you might have no screen voltage or a faulty connection.

karma said:
what shape are your tube sockets in? are thay new old?

It's a pretty new amplifier, the socket are just the regular 8 socket ones for el34s.

SHiFTY said:
Does the grey metal structure (plate/anode) glow bright red? Or is it more of a sparking in the tube?

If it is glowing red, then you have either a bad coupling capacitor or no bias voltage.

If it's sparking you might have no screen voltage or a faulty connection.

It's the filaments (i think), they normally glow like regualr tubes. But that particular tube starts flicker and glowing a lot brighter than the others.

I've checked the bias, and they are all at 0.35v or 35ma.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.