help a newbie build his first tube project - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd February 2006, 09:23 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up help a newbie build his first tube project

hi all .
i m trying to build a marshal 50w amp w an ecc83 and two el34 with help of u guys in here ,..
it s my first tube project , and i wanna use this amp w an ampeg v3 bass preamp ,...
i just don want to fail in this project and loose everything , so i m tryin to go on step by step w help of you guys ...
thnx ...

here s the schematic of marshall amp :
http://www.drtube.com/schematics/marshall/78331-2.gif
and the ampeg preamp :
http://www.drtube.com/schematics/ampeg/v3pre-jp.gif
i have a few questions before starting buying stuffs ,
1-wat can i use as choke in amp ? can i use any choke ? or i should wound a choke ?
2-wat exactly transformer i need to use for pre and power amp supply ? how much ampere shoud the transformer have ? i already have a transformer w 250-0-6 secondaries , can i use it for this amp ? or if not and i should wound a transformer wat transformer i exactly need for supply ?
Old 3rd February 2006, 09:47 PM   #2
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
1-wat can i use as choke in amp ? can i use any choke ? or i should wound a choke ?
Does not matter that much I think...something between 2H to 15H will do. And if you can't find a choke... I'll send you a 5H unit I have lying around.
Old 3rd February 2006, 10:31 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

hii Bas , glad to c u here
thnx man i cant go on and take everything from you :P . i think 10 to 20 turns of #22 insulated wire on a .5 cm guage air core will do the job for me yeah ? or do i need a core ?
wat bout power transformer ? wat transformer i exactly need ?
can i use my old 250-0-6 transformer ? or i should order a transformer w 350-0-350 and 6 , secondaries ? ( how much ampere ? )
Old 4th February 2006, 08:01 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

HELLO !!! , any body out there ?
Old 4th February 2006, 12:08 PM   #5
SHiFTY is offline SHiFTY  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
can i use my old 250-0-6 transformer ? or i should order a transformer w 350-0-350 and 6 , secondaries ? ( how much ampere ? )
Order the right part for the job- i.e. get a new transformer. Buy a proper choke as well- they are very difficult to get right, otherwise they buzz like crazy.

You might want to consider buying a kit with all the parts you need- it works out a lot easier.

Also be sure to read the
Safety Thread

And yes there are people out here, so no need to yell...
Old 4th February 2006, 12:28 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

u said get a new transformer . wat kind of transformer ?
and wat s proper choke ?
buy a kit ??? lol .. i would buy if i can buy anythin from here ! thnx
Old 4th February 2006, 01:00 PM   #7
SHiFTY is offline SHiFTY  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

At a guess 350-0-350 @ 250mA with 6.3V 5A would probably be ok for the job...

And the choke say 5H at 150mA, or just use a really big power resistor (say 100 ohms / 50 Watts)- it's a guitar amp after all.

Old 4th February 2006, 01:25 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

try here, great help available, good designs too. i've scratch built 2 of thier circuits, with my own power supply design-my guitar playing brother, literally conned me into selling him one, he thought it sounded so good!

http://www.ax84.com/dp.php?pg=home
Old 4th February 2006, 06:06 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

thnx , i ll order the transformer , and so i can t wound the choke my self ? cuz i couldn t find it here ..
Old 6th February 2006, 05:08 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

hii there ..
can any body plz tell me how can i wound the choke my self ?
do i need a core ?
plz

Hide this!Advertise here!