• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Mundorf Silver-oil VS Jensen copper foil

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
and i think that the Mundorfs sounded 'flat' and too smooth for my liking.
I agree. I used a 1uF Silver in oil in a tweeter crossover...and the sound became so smooth that it sounded that it took all the edges of the music..so trumpets and cymbals and all other metallic sounds did not sound like a trumpet or a cymbal.

Apparently the Audio Note's copper foils sound better than the Jensens copper foils. (Just read about it...never heard it myself)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I have 2 ouputs on my DIY triode preamp. One has Mundorf Silver Oil, the other has Jensen Oil copper foil.
Everytime I experiment changing tube assortment anywhere, a cable or a speaker either one or the other output comes handy for synergy.
I would say that in absolute terms the Mundorf is more balanced and the Jensen more fleshed out, but a bit shy in HF analysis annd presence.

Hmmmmm...
seems to be that both have a positive & negative in them self, I've asked my friend on this same question. He told me a similar thing and end up with "buy both and try" :smash:

Thank you all for your opinion,
Shall I wait & count each comment as a vote and go ahead with the higer vote :D

FWIW, I've compared teflon film/foil to Mundorf silver, Audio Note copper foil, Jensen copper foil, Jensen aluminum foil, MultiCap polypro foil, Sonicap polypro and a host of others and the teflons were superior = more musical = less hardness, less veiling, etc. The only cap I've found to better teflons are liquid teflons. YMMV.

FWIW, I've compared teflon film/foil to Mundorf silver, Audio Note copper foil, Jensen copper foil, Jensen aluminum foil, MultiCap polypro foil, Sonicap polypro and a host of others and the teflons were superior = more musical = less hardness, less veiling, etc. The only cap I've found to better teflons are liquid teflons. YMMV.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I use and like the teflon V-caps in my pre-amplifier and power amplifier, here is the site:
http://www.v-cap.com/tefloncapacitors.html

I have tried both the audio note and jensen pio's in the past and find V-caps preferable. I think their tonal balance and resolution is pretty outstanding in my own designs.

I would follow the manufacturers recommendation for mounting and burn in based on my experience with them.

edit: for clarity

serengetiplains said:

Tom, the teflon cap you've tried is the Russian teflon or the V-cap ?

How is the sonicap sounds like ( gen 1, gen 2 or plattinum ? ), how far behind Mcap silver-oil & Jensen copper foil?

thinking to try gen 1 on speaker network and maybe also gen 2 for 12au7 amp.:D :D

Hi 100db, I've tried numerous varieties of teflons, Rel-Cap, AudioCap, Russian, Component Research, metallized, V-Cap. I prefer V-Caps of all of them.

The Sonicaps I've tried are Gen 1.

The Mundorf, Audio Note and Jensen PIOs, to my ears, sound smooth, but lack the air and detail of teflon caps, which also, IME, have better bass. The PIOs sound to me between decent polypropylene caps (Sonicap) and teflon caps. The limiting factor to the Mundorfs et al, despite their use of exotic plate materials etc, is the DA of their dielectric.

The Russian caps measure surprisingly well, but they are not extended foil designs, an element that limits their performance. They're otherwise amazingly well built.

100db said:

Tom, the teflon cap you've tried is the Russian teflon or the V-cap ?

How is the sonicap sounds like ( gen 1, gen 2 or plattinum ? ), how far behind Mcap silver-oil & Jensen copper foil?

thinking to try gen 1 on speaker network and maybe also gen 2 for 12au7 amp.:D :D

serengetiplains said:
Hi 100db, I've tried numerous varieties of teflons, Rel-Cap, AudioCap, Russian, Component Research, metallized, V-Cap. I prefer V-Caps of all of them.

The Sonicaps I've tried are Gen 1.

The Mundorf, Audio Note and Jensen PIOs, to my ears, sound smooth, but lack the air and detail of teflon caps, which also, IME, have better bass. The PIOs sound to me between decent polypropylene caps (Sonicap) and teflon caps. The limiting factor to the Mundorfs et al, despite their use of exotic plate materials etc, is the DA of their dielectric.

The Russian caps measure surprisingly well, but they are not extended foil designs, an element that limits their performance. They're otherwise amazingly well built.

Thanks for a great review Tom !
Would like to try the V-cap also, but it's too far from my budget ..... the 0.68uF cost almost half of my 12au7 total cost.
Any suggestion for the lower cost one ?

:dead:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.