diyAudio (
-   Tubes / Valves (
-   -   Mundorf Silver-oil VS Jensen copper foil (

100db 3rd February 2006 01:47 AM

Mundorf Silver-oil VS Jensen copper foil
Hello everybody,
Looking for an out put cap for my 12au7 pre-amp and 6c45 DAC I/V.
Thinking to get either 0.47uF Jensen copper foil or Mundorf Supreme Silver-oil ?
What is your view on these 2 caps ?

kmtang 3rd February 2006 11:46 AM

I like the Mundorf Silver better than Jensen copper-in-oil for its clarity in highs.

commstech 3rd February 2006 02:09 PM

I guess its just a matter of personal taste. I have tried 0.1uf for both types in my cathode follower. and i think that the Mundorfs sounded 'flat' and too smooth for my liking. the Jensen sounds full and them very much.

commstech 3rd February 2006 02:13 PM

anyone tried the MUNDORF Supreme Silver/ Gold?

Bas Horneman 3rd February 2006 02:23 PM

and i think that the Mundorfs sounded 'flat' and too smooth for my liking.
I agree. I used a 1uF Silver in oil in a tweeter crossover...and the sound became so smooth that it sounded that it took all the edges of the trumpets and cymbals and all other metallic sounds did not sound like a trumpet or a cymbal.

Apparently the Audio Note's copper foils sound better than the Jensens copper foils. (Just read about it...never heard it myself)

Salas 3rd February 2006 02:28 PM

I have 2 ouputs on my DIY triode preamp. One has Mundorf Silver Oil, the other has Jensen Oil copper foil.
Everytime I experiment changing tube assortment anywhere, a cable or a speaker either one or the other output comes handy for synergy.
I would say that in absolute terms the Mundorf is more balanced and the Jensen more fleshed out, but a bit shy in HF analysis annd presence.

100db 3rd February 2006 02:50 PM

seems to be that both have a positive & negative in them self, I've asked my friend on this same question. He told me a similar thing and end up with "buy both and try" :smash:

Thank you all for your opinion,
Shall I wait & count each comment as a vote and go ahead with the higer vote :D

commstech 3rd February 2006 02:58 PM

Originally posted by 100db

He told me a similar thing and end up with "buy both and try" :smash:

and i thought this is the fun part of DIY:D

serengetiplains 3rd February 2006 03:00 PM

I'd use teflon film/foil myself. Teflon is in another league to polypropylene and PIO.

Salas 3rd February 2006 03:35 PM

I have SCR Teflon ($$$). No musicality.