diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Tubes / Valves (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/)
-   -   Look what I found this weekend! (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/72936-look-what-i-found-weekend.html)

eapavant 30th January 2006 03:00 PM

look what I found this weekend!

2 Attachment(s)
I was cleaning out some of my grandfathers stuff this weekend and found about ten boxes of tubes! Lots of different stuff. 12ax7 12au7 6l6 813 are the only ones I can remember off hand. A few cool looking tubes with mercury in them. I am not sure what they are. Rectifiers? Then I found some really big ones. Three 4 1000a's a 4 400a and four 4 250a. Anyway I have always wanted to build a tube amp. So no I have no reason not to:) Here is a pic. from one box.

6h5c 30th January 2006 04:18 PM

You are a lucky ****!

I'm jealous :bawling: This is like finding a treasure with an old map :D

The ones with mercury are most likely rectifiers. Be careful with them, both mechanically and electrically!

Regards,

Ray.

Peter M. 30th January 2006 04:35 PM

Congratulations with your find:)

Mercury rectifiers, I think I read some place the they should be kept vertical for a couple of days before applying voltage to them..not sure why, maybe the mercury in the wrong place could make a short between anode and cathode?
Anyone, please straight me out here.:xeye:

i_should_coco 30th January 2006 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Peter M.

Mercury rectifiers, I think I read some place the they should be kept vertical for a couple of days before applying voltage to them..not sure why, maybe the mercury in the wrong place could make a short between anode and cathode?
Anyone, please straight me out here.:xeye:

Sort of - they need to be run on filaments only for a while (the interval varies from data-sheet to data-sheet). I reckon 15 mins to 1/2 hour should be fine. And yes, it is to make sure that there are no blobs of mercury to cause a short.

Regards,
Pete

beamnet 30th January 2006 07:58 PM

You could select a few tubes to make an amp, sell the rest to us for cheap and use the money to buy transformers and stuff!

Bas

poobah 30th January 2006 08:12 PM

That's very nice... now, I hate you.

:mad:

SHiFTY 30th January 2006 09:01 PM

Cool! :)

Post a list of all the tubes here and someone will be able to tell you what to build :)

poobah 30th January 2006 09:17 PM

All of those tubes are very hazardous to the environment... send them to me and I will take care of them for you...

:)

Original Burnedfingers 30th January 2006 09:39 PM

Quote:

All of those tubes are very hazardous to the environment... send them to me and I will take care of them for you...

I'll go one better than Rob. I'll pay postage and give you a few dollars to boot.:D

poobah 30th January 2006 09:52 PM

You're a dog Joe... I like dogs... but, you're still a dog!

:mad: