• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

GE 5692 BLACK base?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Quote:

You got hosed. Those are normal 6SN7.

From the pictures it would look like there were no support bars like the red base 5692's have. Still a good price at $6 a tube.

I'm the guy that was bidding against you and I would still be happy to take some off your hands.:cool:

If they are indeed 6SN7's then I would imagine the standard 6SN7GTB values would apply. I think they were 450 plate voltage.

I think you might have actually lucked out, those look to me like Sylvania 6SN7 and IMHO these are amongst the best sounding 6SN7 out there, and at just $6.00 each you did very well. (You could have very easily paid a lot more.)

Woot! Thats good to know.

Can anyone comment on the ratings?

The box flaps have what appear to be hand written test results. 75/50, 74/50, 70/50, 70/50, 69/50 (5 tubes). Can anyone tell me what these values mean? I'm guessing the 74 and 75 tested the best and are a good 'matched pair'?

fdegrove said:
The acid marking on the top of the tube reminds me of Sylvania/ECG

kevinkr said:
...those look to me like Sylvania 6SN7

Yep, the triangular plates is the big giveaway. (To my knowledge only made by Sylvania).

Interestingly, the EIA code ("188") shows the tube manufacturer as GE. And at their Owensboro, Kentucky plant ("5") too. (Which given the forgoing, clearly can't be true?). No date code underneath it either, which is a little sus...

Still, the Sylvania's are considered good-sounding 6SN7's at least! Certainly placed somewhere in the "top 10" (?).
So congrats at getting a silver-lining out of it. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.