• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

What tube do you think this OPT matches?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After reading the other thread on the $17 Edcor OPT, I started looking at this one:
http://www.edcorusa.com/classx/tube_output/xse/xse25-8-7_6K.htm
Their $27 25W 7.6K SE model. I'm not exactly sure which power tube it is geared towards. I emailed them but didn't get a response yet. I looked at some tube datasheets and searched a bit, but I'm not sure. 8K primary impedance matches with EL84/6V6, but 25W is largely oversized. Of the common power tubes in the 25-ish Watt range it looked like maybe the KT66 came closest. :confused:

I did get a reply: "We don't specify tubes, we leave that up to the experts."

Sort of a comical response, as a new product doesn't arise from primordial sludge. Either Edcor came up with an application on their own, it's meant to compete with another company's specific product, or it's an OEM for a commercial amp. Hmmm.

I ordered the cheap SE transformers, and will test them when they show up. When I called them, the person who answered the phone just did sales. She said that no technical people were available and could not tell me the primary inductance or the maximum working voltage.

If this transformer works out (as good as a 125CSE) I will try the larger ones. I believe their wattage ratings might be inflated. Look through the entire catalog and compare transformer size and power to other manufacturers.

Im thinking the 16 ohm version of the 25 watt transformer would present a 3.8K ohm load to the tube with an 8ohm speaker. About right for a 300B or triode wired swep tube.

I'm planning to buy a couple of the 25W versions. I did think of buying the 16 ohm versions and using a tube suited to 3.8K load. I did a bit more searching and I think I'm right about the KT66 being suited to the 7.6K primary, since I found that Marshall JTM45's paired KT66's with 8K primaries.

Looking at the frequency response......that core looks a bit slack in the low end.
Looking at the 100W p-p core, one notices "hand stacked" cores. It seems doubtful unless someone is paid nominally to do such a boring task and mistakes can be made. A machine can do it much more consistently. The rest is commercial flannel which all manufacturers write. What I would be looking for are the parasitic values of each winding and they don't display them while others do.

Presently I don't have much flavour with US made products without being ripped off or poor quality sent for export.

richj

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.