• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

7 ch Amp kits?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Please be patient guys this is my first post here.

I have been looking for a new amplifier to power the speakers in my HT, all of which are Polk Audio Lsi series, rated at 4 ohms nominal. and 88db eff. The manufacturer states that they can be driven by an amp rated from 20 to 250 watts. I recently borrowed a 7 channel Anthem amp from a local A/V shop that I thought would work but I am leaning toward a DIY tube amp.

So, anyone out there know of a 7 channel kit, with or without a chasis?

Budget? I really have not given it much thought yet, kind of depends on what looks/sounds good!

BTW, if you want to look at my current setup just click on the WWW button down below.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
7 CHANNEL ht

Hello Frank Z,

Personally I have never come across anything like that with tubes.

So here are just some preliminary thoughts:

Assuming a 4 Ohm impedance for each speaker that would either make for 3 stereo amps + 1 mono(ed), I assume (I am no HT expert) for a summed channel sub or a set of stereo amps with especially wound OPTs sporting dual 4 ohm windings.

This can be made but I would like to call some HT expertise before advising any further.

Regards,:)

3 Channel..

You'd want a 6channel amp..I think?... power the subwoofer with a solid state amp..
With 6 channels...you'd want something without 300B tubes...unless you are loaded...

So go for something like push-pull 2A3...or single ended gm70 a russian 845 look alike (Price of a pair of GM70) $45US.

Here is my 3 channel amp.. rear 2 channels will be driven by solid state...and eventually the subwoofer ...also with solid state..

Attachments

• frontrowasylum.jpg
    frontrowasylum.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 420
Frank Z said:
I have been looking for a new amplifier to power the speakers in my HT, all of which are Polk Audio Lsi series, rated at 4 ohms nominal. and 88db eff. The manufacturer states that they can be driven by an amp rated from 20 to 250 watts. I recently borrowed a 7 channel Anthem amp from a local A/V shop that I thought would work but I am leaning toward a DIY tube amp.
How hard were you cranking the Anthem, ie, how loud do you like to listen? I need to know this to get some idea of the power you're going to need. Watts=dollars and your speakers are not very efficient and your room is a reasonable size (bigger room = more watts). At a guess, 50W ea for the 3 mains, 20W or so for the others. These are the MINIMUM power, double will be better if you like it loud, and have deaf neighbours or a basement setup.
So, anyone out there know of a 7 channel kit, with or without a chasis?
Not that I'm aware of. Build 7 chassis, or as fdegrove suggests, 3 stereo and a mono, and set the power levels for what's needed. The R/C/L do 70-80% of the work.
Budget? I really have not given it much thought yet, kind of depends on what looks/sounds good!
Seven channels of tube amplification are going to cost a lot more than a receiver of the same power and put out a fair bit more heat. As for budget, even modest amps at the power levels I mentioned above could run to a couple of grand for scratch builds, and more for any kits you might find, up to a lot more if you want to go aal out with them.
Don't scrimp on the power, or the quality of the 3 mains. The other 4 you can build cheaper and you won't notice much of a difference.

Why not try a hybrid?

Is it just me or do you want the valves (or tubes for you guys) just for the look of them. Look at http://www.anidian.com/audio/construct/p3a_adden2.shtml for a P3A with a 5687 valve driver. This might give you both the power for HT and the visual appeal of a valve. Also a good resource on power supply design for the P3A if you look around a little. Personally valves seem like a lot of effort compared to SS.

Valves for multichannel

It is not a very good idea of having a multichannel setup using valve amplifiers since, by design, they introduce an enormous level of phase distortion that will ruin the surround effect. On top of this it is a waste of money. If you still need to spend that much money, i can send you my paypal address!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.