• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

EL84 Amp - Baby Huey

If this was my amp I would like to know that all is well apart from the ECC803s ccs and the RLD bias scheme for the EL84's. I had similar problems with the ccs's in the basic BH version. I simplifyed the amp by replacing the preamp ccs with a 675R resistor ( IIRC ) and biased the EL84's separately with 270R resistors. Happily this gave me a working amp with all the proper voltage values. I then reintroduced the ccs's one by one solving any local faults as I went along.
Excellent advice.

And did you check and double check the pinout?

1 and 8 (cathodes) to CCS

3 and 6 (anodes)

2 and 7 (grids)

With a fresh head and a new set of eyes I found my first wiring problem.

I don't know why I didnt check myself, because it did seem a different pinout to a normal ECC83.

JJ ECC803S / 12AX7

Should be 1 and 6 cathodes

3 and 8 anodes.

Pretty sure the ECC803s' ive been using will be damaged now, but they are easliy replaceable. I hope there is no other damage done.

At least we have progress! ;)

Charlie

Should be 1 and 6 cathodes

3 and 8 anodes.

1 and 6 anodes, 3 and 8 cathodes perhaps, .......;)

12AX7 and ecc803s and ecc83 all have the same pin-out.

In the wiki schematic it looks like top triode (a) has reversed cathode and anode pin numbers.

It should be 1 and 6 anodes. And 3 and 8 cathodes.

Sorry Bas, just spotted your edit......:)

Last edited:
If this was my amp I would like to know that all is well apart from the ECC803s ccs and the RLD bias scheme for the EL84's. I had similar problems with the ccs's in the basic BH version. I simplified the amp by replacing the preamp ccs with a 675R resistor ( IIRC ) and biased the EL84's separately with 270R resistors. Happily this gave me a working amp with all the proper voltage values. I then reintroduced the ccs's one by one solving any local faults as I went along.

HTH Bill

OK, what if there was a -55V supply to feed the cathodes of the input stage 12AX7? If I figure on 0.6 mA per triode, and use a 47k resistor for the tail resistor, do you think that arrangement would compromise the performance of the input stage by orders of magnitude compared to the CCS in the tail?

I know the CCS would be a better solution, just looking for something easy and super-reliable to start with, and this post gave me the idea...

--

Ahh sweet music.

It's all up and running, still needs a few tweaks - need to lower the HT a little more as the el84s are running at about 40mA (too high?) and a little hum, think heater wiring maybe seeing as im using a choke for the HT.

Im not sure I can drag it away from my record player at the moment though...

As for the sound. It would be unfair to judge it against my other BH, becasue this one uses better transformers but I am very impressed. The sound is very detailed and clean. And the dynamics are far superior! I love it! As for the RLD bias, it looks like my amp has neons. Very cool.

Many thanks to all for helping me, ill post a picture here soon.

Cheers

Charlie

Last edited:
Congratulations!
a growing family ;)

Hi Rongon,

OK, what if there was a -55V supply to feed the cathodes of the input stage 12AX7? If I figure on 0.6 mA per triode, and use a 47k resistor for the tail resistor, do you think that arrangement would compromise the performance of the input stage by orders of magnitude compared to the CCS in the tail?

I know the CCS would be a better solution, just looking for something easy and super-reliable to start with, and this post gave me the idea...

Hard to beat the simplicity of a resistor.

Can't see any point in deliberately increasing the resistance and then supplying the negative voltage to compensate. Others more knowledgable might disagree. No harm in trying out your idea to hear the difference. :)

In the past I've played about with cathode resistor substitutes. I started with ordinary diodes, led's. an LM314 regulator and finally Gingertubes ccs. To my ears Gingertubes ccs made the most noticeable difference even though I used non exotic caps.

The thrill of building your own gear is you get to tweak :D