Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st April 2013, 06:53 PM   #1341
diyAudio Member

The valve line up I've settled on for now is NOS Radiotron 6v6's with NOS Brimar 6SL7's....stunning sound!
Old 24th April 2013, 09:31 AM   #1342
diyAudio Member

Default Monitoring Output tube balance

Hi all,

Still collecting the bits for my baby huey, and want to put some meter on to monitor and balance the CCS. Thinking of using the alternative CCS based on the DN24560 (as its adjustable), and have found these great looking panel meters.

Question:

Is it better to wire a mA meter in series with the CSS, or a mV meter across a 1 ohm resistor which is in series with the CCS?

I ask this from the perspective of sound quality, does the inductive load of an mA meter in series have the potential to screw up the quality of the design? I like the idea of actually measuring the current than the voltage, but not at the expense of the sound...

Thanks in advance

Malcolm
Old 24th April 2013, 09:39 AM   #1343
shanti is offline shanti  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanti View Post
Hi,

I am another diyer wanting to build this Baby Huey amp. A bit lost among the various updates brought along this thread, could someone direct me towards the final version aka the best sounding version?
- Does the wiki page written by Bas Horneman represents the final version?
- The speakers I want this amp to drive are Fostex Fe207, any experience with those?
- I'd be interested in a mono bloc schematic if it exists.
- Is there an existing list of components? I am staying in France and would like to order the lot to get started soon. (my SS Onkyo amp is dying)

Thank you very much for help and congratulations to those who built very nice unique amplifiers!
Anyone to get me started?
Old 24th April 2013, 09:49 AM   #1344
diyAudio Member

My understanding is that the CCS are fully bypassed with caps so the CCS should have minimal impact on the sound of the amplifier. As such either way will work fine, and the DN2450 is more than capable of coping with a bit of inductance.

However, the bias CCS functions to fix the current through the output valves so you should expect to see no need for adjustment at any time so a bias adjustment meter is a bit superflous.

Shoog
Old 24th April 2013, 12:19 PM   #1345
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Does the wiki page written by Bas Horneman represents the final version?
No. It just shows the easier to build version.
Quote:
Is there an existing list of components?
Not really. Because none of the parts are hard to get really...and most parts are pretty standard.
Quote:
I'd be interested in a mono bloc schematic if it exists.
Just build two power supplies. The extra current won't hurt.
Quote:
The speakers I want this amp to drive are Fostex Fe207, any experience with those?
I don't have experience with that....but my suggestion would be to build a single ended amp for those. Something like the RH84. BUT that is just me. With my Bastanis Prometheus...I prefer single ended to pushpull. (So far...who knows what the future might bring)

Last edited by Bas Horneman; 24th April 2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old 27th April 2013, 02:00 AM   #1346
diyAudio Member

Hi George (Geosto), On your creation of the BH (Quad EL84) what does R6 do on the input and is it log or lin?

malcolm

Last edited by malcolmfraser; 27th April 2013 at 02:03 AM.
Old 27th April 2013, 01:28 PM   #1347
fmena is offline fmena  Canada
diyAudio Member

A general question here....I'm looking for suggestions as to what would be a good tube preamp that would compliment the Baby Huey. Is lots of drive and/or gain needed for the Baby Huey? I already have a modified Bottlehead Foreplay (12AU7 version) and I am happy with it but as always I'm looking for the next evolutionary step....

Your suggestions are appreciated

Thanks
Frank M
Old 28th April 2013, 01:15 PM   #1348
Geosto is offline Geosto  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmfraser View Post
Hi George (Geosto), On your creation of the BH (Quad EL84) what does R6 do on the input and is it log or lin?

malcolm
Hi Malcolm,

R6 adjust the balance between the positive and the negative signal.
By adjusting it, you can make the 2nd harmonic as low as possible.
No two tubes have exact the same characteristics.
I use a lin pot bud it is not critical.
If you swap R21 for the same pot than you can also adjust the gain of the amp in my case that was necessary.
Old 8th May 2013, 03:40 AM   #1349
diyAudio Member

Notes for the 6SL7/6V6 version in the picture back a few posts.
Grab the post #602 schematic.
The common resistor in the 6V6 cathodes is 56R in lieu of the 10R shown for EL84.
The 390R in the current source loads on in the mosfet source followers is 220R to increase the current in the source followers to 3mA.
The 220K in these current sources reduces to 47K .
The 47K + 16K + 47K between the output tube anodes is 39K + 13K + 39K instead. 6SL7 anode loads are still 220K as shown for the ECC803S

There is a 10R + 2u2 zobel added across the 4 Ohm speaker output.

The +56 Volt rail is now +33V
The -48V rail is now -70V
The -45V for the diffamp CCS is now -33V
B+ is +340V
Here are the power supply schematics, Note I used a second small tranny (4.5VA) to generate the low voltage supplies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BH6V6PS1.jpg (130.4 KB, 327 views)
File Type: jpg BH6V6PS2.jpg (132.6 KB, 320 views)

Last edited by gingertube; 8th May 2013 at 03:45 AM.
Old 8th May 2013, 02:15 PM   #1350
diyAudio Member

Default Black Gate caps alternative.

Hi Gingertube, I notice you specify Black Gates in the power supply, as these are now hard to find and very expensive what would you recommend as a substitute, how about the Nichicon MUSE KZ series? Does anyone have experience and opinions of the Nichicon muse range?

Hide this!Advertise here!